Back to forum

Defending the takedown

Author Comments

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 11:51

who said chuck is no.1 in the world? ok he owns the UFC light heavyweight division. what about pride?

chuck style is not karate! its MMA

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 16:37

true, chucks style isnt karate, its hawaiian kenpo/kickboxing, and his grappling technique is completely defensive, so yes as I said, he is a mixed martial artisit. But in Pride the closest champion in wieght to him is Wanderlei Silva. In all fairness, Silva did beat Quinton Jackson (who beat chuck once) but he also lost twice to Tito Ortiz, and Vitor Belfort...both of whom Chuck owned, especialy Ortiz. Randy Couture also dumped on both Ortiz and Belfort...And chuck is the only man to EVER knock out Randy Couture(and he did it twice in a row)...that says something as far as the caliber of opponents Chuck has knocked out. In short, he's the best striker in MMA today, and in the opinion of many many people, the best in teh world at that weight class.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 18:34

chucks style is MMA.

He is an intelligent fighter who utilises an impressive gameplan.

He is a complete fighter.

MMA is no longer about styles it is about the individual fighter.

Chuck will be tested when he fights the newly improved Babalu.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 18:44

Or maybe its due to the lack of true grapplers in the UFC ? Put him against the likes of Nogueira, Arona, or even Paulo Filho and it would be a different story.

I'm not saying Silva is the best but you only have to look at his fight record and who his opponents have been to see he's better than Chuck.

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 21:33

I disagree, chuck has knocked out a "who's who" list of MMA fighters, and he has had like 17 out of his 20ish fights in the UFC, not some smaller venues, so he has been fighting some of the toughest guys in the world, and he doesnt take them to decisions anymore...he puts them to sleep. People who have never been knocked down before in their lustrious championship careers have been put out by chuck...I say hes the most dangerous dude around. Plus he can defend that takedown!:-))

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 22:06

Are we still on that? :-O

The Admin Guy

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Friday 14th April 2006 at 23:23

Firstly, I wouldn't class Randy Couture, Vernon White and Jeremy Horn as "the toughest guys in the world"
Secondly, like I said before, he hasn't fought any good grapplers recently.
And finally, the attendance at Pride or K-1 is usually twice the size of UFC :-)) not exactly "some smaller venues" ;-)

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Saturday 15th April 2006 at 01:56

O, dont miss understand me, the smaller venues comment was referring to how some mma fighters have 40 wins on their record...but 95% of those wins were from small venues such as the king of the cage or other small shows...which shows that their levels of competition havent been exactly world class. But all that being said....Jeremy Horn is a jiu jitsu ACE who has 95 fights, with 47 submissions! He and he alone has taught some of the best fighters to ever come out of the Miletich Elite camp their jiu jitsu. This guy isn't a good grappler? Plus, he was never knocked down (much less out) in his career...and Chuck wasted him, took him out of his element completely.

Man, this is turning into a Chuck Liddell discussion forum, haha:-))

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Saturday 15th April 2006 at 03:10

But look at the fights Jeremy Horn has won ? Not exactly top fighters.
I'm sorry but if you think the likes of Liddell and Horn are "the toughest guys in the world" you really need to watch more events. ;-)

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Saturday 15th April 2006 at 22:10

You sound like an Official Pride representative to me:-)) but the simple truth is, Liddel can work anybody at his weight in the world right now...i could even see him beating Rickson Gracie...that would be a fight of hte century

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Saturday 15th April 2006 at 22:35

No contest ! :-))