Back to forum

What shall i do?

Author Comments

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Friday 30th June 2006 at 21:30

I like Justin's logic there. Diplomacy can cool a heated situation very quickly without any loss of face even without any arse-kissing (notice the "correct" spelling used, :-D).
HOWEVER, sober people can be reasoned with, drunk people can't. That said, there's no glory in beating up a drunk!

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 30th June 2006 at 23:09

True, and if you can keep your cool, and come across like Justin mentioned then great!

But, doing that does need a LOT of confidence, and i think our friend is lacking that.

The Admin Guy

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 30th June 2006 at 23:58

To add to that, just start training anywhere, doing anything.

My confidence was lacking in a major way when I moved to uni, new big scary city. After only 2 grading I was (rather foolishly) waltzing around like I knew I could handle myself.

Obviously I still couldn't at the time, but my confidence went through the roof.

So from personal experience, go and train, get involved with a club, get training, get grading, get progressing.

The worst thing you can do is sit around and ask questions.

You might start at a club doing Karate, and not enjoy it. Then go and find something else. Maybe Ju-Jitsu will be more interesting, it might be Judo, or Aikido, but for gods sake get out there and do something.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 1st July 2006 at 00:58

does that mean new city new scary people ??? new gym ????:-p

Willsleeptilnoon

8 posts

Saturday 1st July 2006 at 18:03

Robsco's right, just get into something and if it's not for you, move on to something else. New gym, new style, whatever. At least you will have some experience. It's a no lose situation. I can relate with his experience. Up until I was about 13 I was picked on a lot. After a year or so of training my confidence grew. The more confidence I got the less I got picked on, but I have never had to fight. If you have enough confidence it's easy to walk away without feeling like you have to prove yourself. I've been confronted many times but it never escalated past words, because while the other guys is yelling and cursing, I'm keeping my cool and looking for a less aggressive solution to this guys problem. Like mentioned earlier though, if drinking is involved, it can be a different game.

"What counts is not necessaril