Back to forum

TKD and Jujutsu

Author Comments

NiteSg

1 posts

Monday 25th October 2004 at 17:41

Hi, I currently taking Jujitsu and Judo for grappling , and TKD for striking , I believe Jujitsu amd Judo are excellent grappling arts but do you think TKD is a good striking art? i'm not asking this in some TKD forum as they will definitly say that TKD rox or sumthing.. no offense to the TKD community and pls pardon me for my english..

friendlyfiend

3 posts

Sunday 31st October 2004 at 02:04

No offense to TKD, as I am sure there are a few good instructors, but as a whole TKD is inferior for Combative striking. Much more effective would be Muay Thai, Joe Lewis Fighting Systems, or even boxing. Possibly a hybrid of Boxing and Muay Thai, if possible

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Thursday 30th December 2004 at 15:30

It depends a lot on which style of TKD you're doing. In my experience both styles generally tend to focus too much on the sporting side but this obviously depends on the instructor. WTF style can lead to a lack of hand technique which is VERY problematic against an opponent who uses their hands (like a boxer etc). The main problem is that things like leg kicks aren't utilised in competition and so are often overlooked in training. Elbows and knee striking are included in the syllabus but again, might not be practiced much outside patterns and set sparring. It largely depends on your instructor. What TKD definately gives you is fast reflexes and mobility, as well as being able to operate at long distance.

See how well I block all your

Thomas Ting

1 posts

Friday 31st December 2004 at 06:01

TKD is almost useless in competition. I think that Muay Thai and Judo or Jujitsu is the best combination. It still depend how your experience on fighting. However, if opponent a layman, TKD is able to defeat him/her with no sweat. Hope that answer your question

H3|tU

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 31st December 2004 at 08:26

Not quite sure what you mean by "useless in competition". There is a MMA tournament here in Poland where the winner of the first one was ITF TKD. He got quite far in the next one too. It all depends what you are taught about TKD.

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Tuesday 4th January 2005 at 02:40

Tai Kwan Do is useless in MMA and to find a trainer that will actually teach you to fight in MMA is very difficult. You need somebody that will intergrate every type of fighting style into your training session. If you go to the kickboxing, judo, TKD, karate, wrestling, etc. studio they are going to teach you a sport with their rules. You need to find a trainer that has fought in MMA a knows how to act in the ring. I'm talking about somebody that will combine different arts into some sort of system that will work under Vale Tudo rules. The problem is that even if you go to a couple different studios the kickboxing academy won't teach you how to kick without getting dropped on your head and the judo academy won't teach you how to go in for a throw without getting clocked on the chin. Unless; however, you do find places that will train you for a no holds barred match and not a sanctioned event under that specific style it is best probably to learn either jujitsu, wrestling, or kickboxing because these fighters are most easily adapted to modifying their style to work under Vale Tudo rules.

The best place to go to learn martial arts is at the right gym with the right people and not at a rip off karate studio downtown. If you go to the right gym you will find people training for Vale Tudo competition like for your local hook and shoot and then if you go long enough you may be able to train with those fighters. They will teach you every way you will get your arms torqued, and your chin clocked. Shoot in wrong and they'll teach you exactly how you will get kneed in the head. Then, you learn from your mistakes and get good. Just find somebody that knows how and when to be tough on you.

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 4th January 2005 at 10:22

good post crazy ;-)

Paul

1 posts

Thursday 6th January 2005 at 22:02

I am an instructor of TKD (WTF) and I can tell you from personal teaching and training experience that TKD is a very effective striking art. However, I do agree with some of the previous posts...it really does depend on the instructor. But this point is not only applicable to TKD. I have trained, and sparred with many practioners of other striking and grappling arts and I have always been very pleased with the compliments these people give me (and my students) on the accuracy, speed and power of our strikes.

I do incorporate many other martial arts (such as those mentioned in the previous posts) philosophies into my TKD instruction. My students are more than capable to effectively kick to the legs, use elbows and knees, and choke-out an opponent. I believe that these are all important aspects of any art that can be used in a self-defense situtation. So please keep in mind that although TKD (WTF) is known for its tournament sparring and striking techniques, those are not the only aspects of the art being taught.

JKDeazie

4 posts

Monday 10th January 2005 at 07:38

I think you should read up on Wing Chun and take it up then practice on your leg work that arent WC. Side kicks Snap kicks Spin kicks, and etc. In real street fights you gotta learn to block/trap counter strong. Mostly one punch more 2 punches in the real situation will lay somebody out. If they are stronger add a elbow in with a headbutt or a faint to a groin shot.If your taking Judu which Ive taken before you can add in a throw easily. Im practicing Wing Chun mixed with Muay Thai.

Using no way as way.

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Wednesday 12th January 2005 at 19:56

When I was in Finland the WTF stylists I trained with also studied wrestling techniques as many of the street fighters were wrestlers. They also focussed a lot on avoidance techniques so the wrestler would have trouble grounding them. Interestingly there was also a focus on low kicking... because of the weather. In snow and ice it isn't a good idea to try a head kick when the opponent is standing up (as opposed to a head kick when they are lying down). TKD is certainly as accurate and as forceful as Muay Thai if it is taught correctly. If it wasn't then why did MT masters such as Woody, Toddy etc learn TKD as well as MT. TKD can also give some interesting techniques which may baffle someone not used to this style (spinning retreats and counter attacks etc). OK, this goes for all styles, but the original question was about TKD. Incidentally, from what I have read I understand that Bruce Lee learned much of his high kicking from Korean stylists, such as Jhoon Rhee and Chuck Norris. Also, Mark Weir was formerly a Chang Hon TKD champion