Back to forum

Who, Where, What, Why?

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 19th April 2006 at 20:57

It's been a while since we've had this discussion, and we've probably got a few new 'wonderers' reading the forum but not yet posting.

Use this as an introduction if you're just pondering around the outskirts not sure what to post about.

Who are you? Where in this wonderful world are you, and what do you do?

I'm Robsco, web-developer by day, and, erm, well, web-developer by night. I'm the main site administrator and developer. So if you want something adding or changing on the site, get posting, but less emails please. I get too many asking stuff like "are there any decent clubs in Outer Mongolia!" How I should know is beyond me, but post that question on the forum and I'm sure there'll be a few replies - we get around 250 visitors a day.

By the way guys/gals, I'm currently re-doing the whole forum, just to make it easier to sign-up and stay logged in, etc. I know that's been causing hassle for ages, and currently you have to wait for an email (containing your password) before you can post - a tad overkill me thinks.

Now who's up next?

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 19:05

I am Andy, site-coordinator at Lexus in Guildford.

2nd dan in Traditional Ju Jitsu but saw the light and am now a purple belt in brazilian jiu jitsu under Roger Gracie.

Will be competing in the world championships in rio in 2007.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 08:35

Used to do traditional, thai box, box.

Now learning BJJ and am a white belt no stripes! Entering the SENI first comp be happy if i get past 30 seconds!:-p

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 15:36

What d'ya do for a living Sl?

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 18:47

Computers!

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 00:26

Well that narrows it down? I get the feeling most people into Martial Arts have something to do with computers!!!

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 09:06

a little bit of this a little bit of that! ;-)

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Sunday 23rd April 2006 at 19:13

"a little bit of this a little bit of that!;-)"

SL, you're from Liverpool are you not?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 24th April 2006 at 08:58

haha what are you implying Bren? ;-)

fient

2 posts

Wednesday 26th April 2006 at 20:18

Hi all, Ive just started judo and submission grappling about 3 months ago, i love the submission grappling but i find the stand up in judo very difficult. I have also been kickboxing on and off for a year.
I would love to try BJJ but there is nothing in my area. Do you guys think the Judo and the Submission grappling is a good substitute ? Oh yeah i live in Stoke on trent.

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 26th April 2006 at 21:54

If you're doing Judo and Submission Grappling, then you're close-enough to BJJ.

I can imagine you think most people there are making mince-meat of you at Judo, but stick with it! It's definately one area (the standing grappling) that is sooooo important.

Personally I'm pants at the stand-up of BJJ, and wish I was a Brown Belt in Judo before starting BJJ.

What doesn't kill you will only make you better. :-)

Oh yeah, welcome to the site btw.

I would've thought there'd be some BJJ clubs around you?

How far's Stoke from Nottingham? I'm crap with geography, all I know if there on the same river. :-|

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 27th April 2006 at 08:56

about an hour?

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 27th April 2006 at 10:54

That's one long river then!

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 27th April 2006 at 14:54

Might be less.... feels an age when stuck on the A500! :-p

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 27th April 2006 at 16:40

What you doing around these parts anyway? On the lookout for anything in particular? A new car perhaps? :-p

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 28th April 2006 at 09:55

No i used to work in nottingham and derby and stoke. But not no more how you finding your new home, been burgled / stabbed yet?;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 28th April 2006 at 15:59

No burgluries to report yet. My mate was trying convince me that Nottingham isn't too bad, he went on to tell me he'd only been mugged once.

Sorry, but once is too many for me!!! :-O

The Admin Guy

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Friday 28th April 2006 at 23:31

hi im mj, im a student and live near hull, am planning to start jujitsu once my exams have finished, so came on here for info 1st:-)

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

steven4547

8 posts

Friday 12th May 2006 at 17:39

Hi all,

Started martial arts age 7, did Tang Soo Do until I was 13 (in Coventry), moved to south west england, then Shotokan for a year, then Tae Kwon Do until I was 21, then had a break (cheek bone and time off), then took up MMA a few years ago, had another break (ribs), and now train MMA/street self defence with BCA instructor who is excellent.

Job wise I work in health and fitness industry and also teach first aid and personal safety type stuff.

Cheers,

steve.

Gonjmasta

1 posts

Monday 22nd May 2006 at 22:54

hey evry1 ive been doin mma for about 2 n a half months now i got my first grappling competition coming up on the 9th july so im scouting about learning as much as possible b4 the big fight