Back to forum

Injury rates in (B)JJ - impressions?

Author Comments

tvn

Spectator

6 posts

Sunday 16th September 2007 at 12:56

With inexperienced partners in club training? Overzealous opponents in tournaments?

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Sunday 16th September 2007 at 20:36

I find that in any type of martial arts there are a decent amount of minor injuries at low ranks because they don't have the knowledge, but they also don't have the technique yet to really hurt someone. Then I see very few injuries in the middle ranks because they still aren't quite good enough to seriously hurt someone, but now have much better control Then, at the top there are very few injuries, but they tend to be pretty bad. Broken bones, dislocated joints... It doesn't happen very often because they now have the skill to stop when they need to, but every so often something is calculated wrong and you land weird. I've seen this trend in every martial arts style that I've done, both standup and grappling.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Bryce Doherty

Spectator

10 posts

Monday 17th September 2007 at 09:38

The majority of injuries can be avoided with self restraint with regard to competition. When it comes to general training, injuries occur mainly through just a momentary lapse. Thats life I suppose.

"Shear blunt trauma, followed by technical form!"

tvn

Spectator

6 posts

Monday 17th September 2007 at 18:51

I think most people would agree with both of you -- and I think the point about injuries being more severe and less frequent with advanced students is probably applicable to most martial arts.

Looking from outside of the (B)JJ ranks, though, and having seen (and felt) a bit of demonstration and some youtube clips, I'd be much more reluctant to put myself in a grappling/competition situation with an inexperienced or untrusted opponent than I would in a standup karate match or sparring. I think what makes me wary of JJ is the locks and that it seems more difficult to control techniques if you are not on your feet. I love the few BJJ moves I've been taught but I'm reluctant to try them at their normal pace outside of very formalised learning situations. The lightest of demos have left me with a sore neck and joint pains, and I'm reasonably young and flexible. So I wonder what the experiences of long-term JJ people are.