Back to forum

Looking for answers

Author Comments

Rookie08

Spectator

1 posts

Saturday 12th July 2008 at 05:24

Hey how u guys going, basically i'm looking for a few short answers in regards to Ju-Jitsu....

in terms of advantages/disadvantages of ju-jitsu in general and versus other forms of MA what are they??

Does Ju-jitsu provide sufficient defence/offence, as well as a good means of fitness and is it effective in closed areas and multiple threat situations??

Any answers to thsese q's would be much appreciated, cheers (sorry for being so inquisitive and *new*)

Ashiro

Spectator

7 posts

Sunday 3rd August 2008 at 19:43

This is a very common and also very hard to answer question. It depends on your school, instructors, you and many more factors.

Though I doubt that answer will satisfy you so I'll be completely blaze about the variations and simply put it as straight as I can.

Fitness
This is very dependent on your instructors. Some will take it easy and concentrate on the softer aspects. With little drilling, intensity. Others will be very full-on, with intense warm ups, drills, and non-stop practice.
Even in my school it can often depend on the instructor leading, the day, whats being taught, etc.

Compared to other arts I'll do a very quick and rough run-through but bare in mind this is extremely generalised. JJ is a very big, varied and complete art. Its got strikes, grappling, groundwork, locks, pressure points, weapons, etc.

Compared to:
Judo - JJ preceded it and is often 'harder' with more striking, breaking, finishing, etc. Judo was created for sport and fitness. JJ was created for war and survival.

Kickboxing - Kickboxing is all about strikes. If a kickboxer is taken to ground they have little chance unless they've had some form of ground training.

Karate - Very strike-based and formal. Heavy concentration on forms/katas with not so much on real-world application.

Boxing - Good footwork but no groundwork. Great for striking but suffers on the ground.

Personally I'd say you can't go far wrong with JJ. Its by far the most rounded of the arts and also has the most real-world application. Its also a hell of a lot of fun.

Tai Jutsu Kai
West Midlands, UK

spider

Regular

235 posts

Monday 4th August 2008 at 17:29

Your description of karate sounds exactly like TJJ.

thayrea

Spectator

31 posts

Thursday 7th August 2008 at 12:22

I agree with your post Ashiro but a kickboxer who doesn't cross train will be at a disadvantage if taken to the ground fair enough. But a BJJ practitioner or even a traditional jitsu will be a t a disadvantage during the standup.

know your limits