Back to forum

Jujitsu styles

Author Comments

mrilovesundaes

Spectator

1 posts

Sunday 31st May 2009 at 17:11

Hey guys,

I'm been looking to join into the world of jujitsu ( sorry for the spelling since there's a million ways to spell it if im wrong), but im having a real tough time trying to figure out whats the differences between styles.

i've googled so many forums and topics..we have

-traditional jjj
-eizan jj
-danzan jj
-budoshin jj
-tenko ..somthing-ma-bob jj
-daitojj
-quantum jj
- and of course a bunch of other jj's out there

there's so many so how do i know which is what..or which is better?is there something that traditional jjj lacks that modernized jj offers? or vice versa? or which of the modernized is beneficial..and i'm not interested in sparring with spearheads and staffs and swords so whatever spearhead jj is out there, no thanks.

Also, how do i know if the jujitsu is certified and not just some small mom-n-pop shop the average joe opened up?

please help anyone! i'll pay you back in cookies and love

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Sunday 31st May 2009 at 18:10

Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 31st May 2009 at 18:29

As for the traditional ones, there shouldn't really be too much difference.

Best advice would be to just go and find one near you, pop in, say hi, watch a class, and see what ya think.

It'll be more about the club and their attitude rather than the particular style that will convince you.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Monday 1st June 2009 at 17:26

Bjj is an old form of judo that is based on regular practise of sparring and techniques that can be correctly applied against resistance without being dangerous to the participants.

All the others are based on the REALLY old style where participants pretend to practise techniques but can't actually perform them as they are too dangerous/too much like a bunch of overweight fannies or hobbits with 'small man' syndrome line dancing.

ejharte

Spectator

23 posts

Friday 12th June 2009 at 12:18

I started WJJF, it's exelant especially at Newton Aycliffe with sensei Forsyth. You would enjoy it a lot.

Smile, it makes your teeth feel special.

mccauley

Spectator

20 posts

Monday 13th July 2009 at 00:14

ide try BJJ, good nd affective

fists are your best wepon(screw brass knuckels)

Custodian

Spectator

1 posts

Tuesday 14th July 2009 at 12:15

Budoshin is a gendai style of jiujitsu. I just started training in the origin style of the budoshin jj, seki-ryu jiujitsu and its evolved form gendai goshin jitsu. Self-defense oriented styles of jj. Its worth it.