Back to forum

not convinced

Author Comments

jujitsu2004

13 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 10:05

sorry, I don't mean any disrespect to the webmaster/creator of this site, or sensei (master, surely is aquired much further than 3rd Dan) Rob Sheehan (3rd dan), or any Jitsu Ki training at the Castle Black Belt Academy. But after much researching through the photo's of the sylabus', i don't beleive the techniques shown would be the wisest chocie on the street. Some (not all) seem more trouble than they would be useful.

Maybe people will disagree, but thats my opinion!

Pain IS temporary, however - what would pride mean to the dead?... Nothing

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 13:35

I agree with you e-b.

I'm a big fan of brazilian jiu jitsu and i'm a blue belt under Royce Gracie but i also know what works in the street and what works in the training rooms.
If like myself you have had real street encounters then you will also know that 95% of street fights don't go to the ground the percentage is much less than that but many people are being blinded by what famous(money making) martial artists tell them. When someone wants to kick your balls up yer back, bite your face off and poke your eyes out martial arts goes out of the window(FACT). Real life aint the UFC as some silly people still think it is and one day they will learn the hard way!

However the fact is that everyone should learn to fight at all ranges coz if your fight does end up on the ground you need to know what your doing. Brazilian jiu jitsu has all the answers you need to be savy on the ground and people should learn it but once again i stress that if you rely on taking fights to the ground your gonna get your head kicked off or worse. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 14:34

I dont think anyone on here trains at Castle BBA.

I do BJJ cos I love it, but I know how to strike aswell, the ground is the last place you want to be in a street fight, everyone knows that, Royce states it in his self defence book aswell, you just need bjj to defend your self on the ground till you can stand up and knock the Fuckers out.

plus if you train for MMA you're gonnna be very well prepared for a street fight, most guys you end up fighting on the street aren't trained fighters so you're gonna be at an advantage.

Last point, I've never been in a street fight (and I'm proud of it) and hopefully never will be, but I have been in situations where it could quite easily have turned into a fight, you just need to know how to handle the situations before they turn violent.
pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 17:07

I agree with you too andy.

I too love BJJ and martial arts.

I wasnt making out like i was some kind of hero just coz i've had a few rumbles. I avoid fights now as ive learned it takes a bigger man to walk away than to stand and fight(lifes to precious). Some fights though you can't just walk away from, as you have no choice.

All martial arts have something that will work in reality i know that but some people seriously think street fighting is the same as in the dojo. WRONGGG! And some instructors are guilty of leading these people astray!

Everything you wrote i agree with.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 17:12

Andy when will your website be up and running again? Also do you have a web address for Colin Robinson(purple belt under Royce)?

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 17:23

it's all good.

Dave, I don't have a contact for Colin Robinson but if you got to www.karltanswell.com and contact Karl, he knows Colin and am sure he has a contact for him.

The website is being constructed at the moment, should be up asap, if you're ever in Sheffield come and train. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 17:26

Well no disrespect taken in terms of the syllabus techniques on this site, they are traditional Ju-Jitsu stuff, so yeah, not too sensible apart from taking care of a drunk uncle at a party.

Those techniques were done ages ago, before I'd even started with the BJJ, now Blue Belt (1 Stripe) under Royce, and was so tempted to take the syllabus stuff off once i'd done the BJJ techniques section, but for some people, they want the traditional stuff.

I'm not one to tell someone what they should and shouldn't learn. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 16th March 2004 at 17:43

Well said Robsco.

jujitsu2004

13 posts

Thursday 18th March 2004 at 10:40

Yeh i agree with many of the things u guys have said, the last thing anyone (excluding Robert Pires - if u watch footie) is to go to ground. however i must admit i train in TJJ and kick jitsu, and have done for the past 3.5 yrs, this style may not be the most effective in terms of modern day situations, but combined with another style such as kick-jitsu, brazilian, or wing chun it can be v.useful indeed!
I have been in a number of fights in the past, but i pride myself on having the knowledge supplied from jitsu, to be able to dismantle a potentially dangerous situation.

I just thought looking at the techniques some seemed clumsy, and of no use on the street, drawing from past experience.

e_B

shawn

8 posts

Thursday 18th March 2004 at 21:19

where do you train jujitsu2004?

train hard ,train good ,surviv

jujitsu2004

13 posts

Friday 19th March 2004 at 14:07

jujitsu2004

13 posts

Friday 19th March 2004 at 14:14

errmm... i train in South Manchester, why? where do you train?

They say you live by the sword, you die by one, if thats the case, then get a bigger one

shawn

8 posts

Friday 19th March 2004 at 15:44

i used to train at castle bba but left as it got shit after all the good instructors left, and i am looking to start training elsewhere but still want carry on my training in trad jj train hard ,train good ,survive

train hard ,train good ,surviv

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 21st March 2004 at 21:44

If you like training trad JJ (perfecting the set syllabus) but also like to mix it up with some realism that would give you the edge in a street brawl, then depending on travel commitment i'd suggest giving Allan Tattersall's dojo at Rochdale a look.

In trad JJ you will not find anyone better / more knowledgable, but also a couple of the instructors there (mates of mine) Dave & Simon, add in all the realism you are ever likely to need. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 22nd March 2004 at 21:34

Shawn,

If Allan Tatt's place is too far he has an excellent syllabus video collection.....'white to brown' basic juko-ryu as done by Bob Clarke, Dick Morris, Brian Cheek, et-al, but modified to simplify some of the techniques and to improve safety in their execution....and his advanced Dan grade syllabus 'Myo-shin Ryu' which is basically an aiki-jutsu arrangement of techniques & principals.

All are good quality and relatively cheap...check out his website UKJJAI.com "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 23rd March 2004 at 13:40

Allan Tattersall, does he do a technique where a guy stands each side of him holds his wrist, then he takes a step forward and they kind of go flying in a forward roll motion? pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 23rd March 2004 at 19:08

I might need that one in April! :o) --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 25th March 2004 at 19:40

Yes he does Andy...and I can do it too, its great fun, but a really basic principle behind it used in judo, BJJ, Aikido, etc. and the attackers are 'co-operating' as in all martial 'ARTS'.

Here goes....the two attackers are stood at the side of the defender,facing the same way as the defender, and pulling the defenders wrists vertically downwards towards the ground (with both hands). The defender drops his centre of gravity by basically stepping back slightly and bending at the knees (not the back...keep upright posture). Symultaneous with his step back / drop centre, defender straightens his fingers (open hand) and drops his own elbows slightly whilst turning his fingers & forearm upwards to 'point towards the ceiling.

This action puts the attackers gripping hands / wrists into an un-natural position (their wrists begin to lock & give pain). In doing this the attackers postures are broken as they arch back at thier waists to compensate for the locked wrists. As the attackers become unstable by this arching action / and their bicep strength is weakened, the defender reverses his previous movements (slight step forward, points his fingers & forearm forward and in 'aikido' type fashion basically projects his attackers forward.

It is their reaction, to his action, which effectively causes them to throw themselves and obviously they use a rolling breakfall similar to those used in aikido.

As I said basic principle of action causing reaction...try it and see...just remind attackers this is 'complient' technique / principle and they must keeep a firm grip and keep pulling downwards and defender must keep relaxed and keep good posture. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 25th March 2004 at 19:47

Less fancy version is to do all the same stuff to point where attackers posture broken, but rather than reverse hands & step forward /project the defender simply keeps pointing upwards, opens his elbows outwards so they are above the 'bent posture defenders' sternums, then the defender further lowers his centre by deeper end at his knees whilst driving his elbows vertically downwards on the attackers sternums, forcing them to the ground. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 26th March 2004 at 12:46

Steve i'm sure andy is taking the piss coz that technique your talking about is a load of S*^te! Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up