Back to forum

not convinced

Author Comments

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 26th March 2004 at 12:52

Not sure if my last post counts as a point but what the hell steve. 4-0
Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 26th March 2004 at 21:47

Dave, Have you tried it yet, was it good fun to do, never said it was gonna be great in a street brawl (wouldn't usually get two blokes trying to hold onto your wrists and pull you down...well maybe in Manchester's Village, but hey that'd be someones own fault for venturing down there!)

Its a Aiki technique (harmonious energies) done as an art form, kata, dance routine, pansy trad jujitsu, whatever you want to call it...to demonstrate skill level & knowledge of body movement, joint manipulation, etc, like performing a good sweep in BJJ groundwork which similarly you might never pull off in competition against a decent player...but then again you know this already and just wanted the 3rd goal.

The best MMA'ers, K1 fighters, sub-wrestlers, are usually the ones who have a properly studied, rich skill base / art behind them which has taught them enough that they can think for themselves in a match and use inteligent application of their knowledge / understanding of the body and how it works, to their advantage....not just churn out robotic drills which maybe can be delivered quickly in the right situation, but not be suited to the particular situation they are in.

Giz a goal..go on..giz a goal.. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 27th March 2004 at 14:58

Sorry steve your wrong again!
All the sweeps in BJJ do work regardless of doing them in competition or practice! And they do work in street fights as ive used certain sweeps myself in real fights.

Obviously we dont all walk round in Kimonos but when was the last time you saw someone on a night out wid just their fart traps (underpants) on? There is always something to grab hold of to reverse a position and if not then you tailor the move to the situation and control your oponent by body position using his limbs and body to reverse the position.

You also go on about fighters thinking for themselves! Really? When did that happen? I always thought the coach controlled the fighter using telepathy! :-)
The only way the best fighters become great is because they have spent years drilling moves like robots untill the techniques are perfect! Then over a very long period of time when the techniques are perfected and stored both mentally and physically can these techniques be applied without thinking about it! You learn moves, you drill them and then you try them in sparring/combat and continue this process for the rest of your life! BJJ moves do work and if drilled properly and repetitively can be applied to any situation or arena of combat.

Brazilian jiu jitsu techniques work because they are constantly used in all arena's of combat and so develop & progress with the times and needs of modern combat, unlike trad ju jitsu which is outdated and relies on stories and techniques from the past.

I have never tried that thing where two guys grab a wrist each and then you throw them through the air as its a load of bollocks and doesnt do anything for your personal skill level. It simply wastes time and makes people beleive they have great power when really its just trickery with two muppets jumping around all over the place! Very boring!

P.S. TJJ is rubbish and BJJ is in tune with modern combatative needs.
5-0. :-) Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 27th March 2004 at 17:15

5.0 Its a rout! My corner man's thrown in the towel to save me suffering anymore....Trad JJs dead (which incidentally I don't actively study any more....just BJJ, Judo and VT) but thought I'd have a go at defending & promoting it anyway cause I enjoyed learning it at the time, got plenty out of it whilst studying (it got me an invitation to Japan to train with the Old Masters in the very dojo in which it all started, where Kano founded Judo, etc) and 'jujitsu 2004' did kick off this thread by saying he was interested in learning trad JJ and finding a decent club to train at.

Bring on the next thread! "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 27th March 2004 at 17:18

My mistake jujitsu 2004...it was shawn saying he wanted to carry on training trad JJ as well. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 28th March 2004 at 02:24

Okay I'll jump in to save Steve from a complete battering, traditional Ju-Jitsu is good, but only for one reason in my eyes, to learn how the body works, simple as, nothing more, nothing less.

Let's face it, not many of us decided to train in BJJ in the first place, we trained in traditional bollocks and then learnt better, so it's totally unfair to slag people off who train in these traditional styles, as long as they don't keep believing in them after black belt level, as long as they've been exposed to No-Holds-Barred stuff.

As the webmaster and owner of this site nothing will change my aspect until something as powefull and fearsome as BJJ comes along to rival it.

I'm getting particularly pee'd off with people talking about how their techniques are too 'deadly' even for the cage. Come on, i think we all need a reality check. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 28th March 2004 at 11:43

it's all bollocks really, just carry a gun. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 28th March 2004 at 16:35

Thanks Robsco, bailing me out like that I was begining to think that I've been living in Narnia for the last 20 years...Narnia being C.S. Lewis' fantasy world, not Nadia the TVX star who it would be very pleasant living in!

Andy sums all this reality crap up anyway....do people really train in MA to be able to look after themselves in a streetbrawl or because they just enjoy training or competing in MA. Why would anyone spend 5, 10, 20 years of their life, maybe 6 to 10 hours a week, just so that on the off chance one day a knobhead down the pub takes a pop at them they can deal with it?...no of course they don't cause that would be pretty sad...a couple of days off work with a mashed-up mush easily outweighs wasting thousands of hours training something you are not really into for its own sake, just in case!

Better to carry the gun...you might get out in 10 or even 5 like the farmer did who claimed it to be self defence. (JUST JOKING KIDS...better to keep out of trouble in the first place or take Andy's more serious advice and run). "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

jujitsu2004

13 posts

Tuesday 30th March 2004 at 13:41

Yup, i started this thread...and what a reply, although the subject changed somewhat, still nice reading when u've got nothing at all to do apart from college work!
I agree with what steve's just said about enjoying it more than simple ' self-defence', come on, i mean i'd rather spend 25 years doing something i enjoy loads - whether it is or isn't outdated ('ohhh my gaaawd, its SO like - last season!';), rather than training simply to 'win' a fight, when i could get knocked over by a bus and die instantly walking home from the very same fight!

Makes sense to me to make the most of it while i can!

JuJitsu2004

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 30th March 2004 at 16:15

Thats very very true mr jujitsu. Enjoying life is what its all about as we all only get one crack at it. This post has somewhat strayed from the original topic but its all just good crack. I dont take anything that anyone types seriously so i hope no one takes what i type seriously. :-)

Train safely. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

sugar5555

Spectator

1 posts

Sunday 17th May 2009 at 10:42

Oii,, Castle Black Belt Academy Is The Number 1 Best!

Sooo Dont Even Say Nothing Its Honestley The Best Karate Jujitsu Acedemy Honestely !!!

Chloee Minniss xx