Back to forum

New Dude

Author Comments

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Thursday 22nd April 2004 at 21:35

Hey guys I'm completely new here..in fact i haven't even checked out any of the site yet. I would just like to ask a couple questions.
I'm 18 years old (male) and i'm not over weight but not in the best shape either. I've always been considering joining a martial arts but I really can't take it anymore, I feel a need to train my physical and mental self. Not only do most martial arts interest me, personal growth does as well. I live in a small town and the only classes available are judo and ju-jitsi and something called juKIjitsu(i think). Anyway after asking around, i think judo isn't for me and im thinking about joining jujitsu.

I'm pretty sure martial arts are for any age group, and that it is a lot easier to start when your younger...but just to ease my mind, exactly how difficult is it to train myself at an older age? am i going to be tearing groin muscles or getting my ribs broken from slams or anything? i just want to know if this art is for me. Thanks!

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 22nd April 2004 at 21:57

Everyone has to make a start somewhere and 18 isn`t old. I`m only 19 myself and I`ve only been training SOLIDLY for around 2 years or so. Martial arts for me is really just one of the things I learn because I`m more into boxing too. If you are in good health train man then just go for it and when you see the results in your body and ability in say, 4 years, you`ll be glad you did train!!It`s NEVER too late. (unless your say, 60!! no offence grand-pa`s!!)

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 22nd April 2004 at 22:02

oh yeah, and noone is going to hurt you man. You mostly spar (if you even do) with people of similar abilitys and it`s all good clean fun. As you progress you will prehaps fight stronger and more experienced people, but you will be of a much better ability too.

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Thursday 22nd April 2004 at 23:25

if i join i would actually look forward to sparring eventually but the one reason that kept me from joining martial arts when i was like 8 or so (my parents tried to coax me into it) was all my friends would say "the sensai is absolutely crazy! he just punches you in the face and in the stomach as hard as he possibly can and if you say ow or cry then he starts beating you up and you become the person that everyone practices on for the whole day!" or something similarly intimidating. Ive come to learn that the reality of martial arts is fairly close to that to toughen up and teach discipline, but when you're an 8 year old, it basically sounds like suicide and i've never really gotten over it.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 23rd April 2004 at 00:49

hehe, I'm quite sure there's no instructors doing that, ever heard of child abuse?

Do you really think parents would send there kids somewhere where they come home battered and bruised?

Sounds like someone was just trying to scare you at the time, seems it worked a treat. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 23rd April 2004 at 10:39

I wish you all the best trapdoor as youve already made the hardest decision in martial arts and thats too have a go in the first place, so well done. My advice is to try out all the clubs and see which is best for you as we dont all have the same interests.

Also dont listen to people putting you off or putting you down just do whatever you want to do regardless of stupid comments about instructors beating students as its a load of rubbish.

Good luck man. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Saturday 24th April 2004 at 03:50

well after asking some friends who have had this teacher before, it turns out he can get quite physical. he uses something he calls the red palm quite a bit, where he gets everyone to open up their gi and slaps them as hard as he can on their chests (and leaves a red palm mark) and if you fall backwards or show signs of pain, he hits u in the back of the knee with a wooden rod (not as hard as he can, but to deal pain). now the friends telling me this r friends i can trust enough to know they wouldnt want to yank my chain.

is this normal? its actually exciting me to tell you the truth, getting toughed up in that way.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 24th April 2004 at 09:32

Personally I'd report this guy to the police or alternatively, let me know where and when he trains. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 24th April 2004 at 13:03

I'd also like to know when and where he trains coz if thats what he does to students he seriously needs taught a lesson himself.

Believe me TD either your mates are pulling your pisser or there is a guy out there taking advantage perhaps coz he gets kicks out of hurting people and having power and control over people. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Saturday 24th April 2004 at 19:24

"its actually exciting me to tell you the truth, getting toughed up in that way."

This youth has to be taking the piss and/or has 'come' from that website Adam's always on about... "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Saturday 24th April 2004 at 20:54

What exactly does 'taking the piss' mean? and no im not from whatever website. By the way i'm from canada which is why i've never heard 'taking the piss' before.

Anyway, no they arn't BSing me, i know my friend enough to know he wouldn't lie, and it is a well known fact that this guy uses punishment to toughen up his students.

My english teacher teachers judo and co-teaches the jujitsu class with this guy and talking with him(Eng teacher) he tells me that "If i don't think i could deal with pain then the classes obviously arn't for me, because thats what martial arts are all about". im paraphrasing but that is basically exactly what he said.

And the reason i said it is kind of exciting is because i've always heard about great martial arts masters who had to endure torturous ordeals to complete their training and it only made them tougher and wiser men/women.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 24th April 2004 at 22:14

Are you from Vancouver? I hear they legalised weed there............ pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Sunday 25th April 2004 at 00:13

I've always wanted to go to Canada and i think i'm going next year. YIPPEE!!!!

Trapdoor i still want to know who this instructor is, where and when he teaches as i fancy doing a club raid to teach him a lesson. Please give me the details. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Sunday 25th April 2004 at 15:04

im from Bathurst, New Brunswick on the far right of canada, one of the maritime provinces if noone knows.

The guys name is Wayne Tibideau and he has been teaching jujitsu from his home just outside of town for a long time now. If you actually want to come to Bathurst and have a good old fashioned showdown it shouldn't be too hard to find him since Bathurst isn't that big im 99% sure he is the only jujitsu teacher in town.

And YES he is completely notorious for being strict and mean, everyone i ask about when i ask how they liked classes says 'it was ok...the teacher is absolutely CRAZY though!'

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Sunday 25th April 2004 at 19:57

He sounds like a complete nob-jockey. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 25th April 2004 at 23:05

Beating people does not toughen them up, training good technique with a good coach is what does. The ju-jitsu guy obviously thinks he is the re-incarnation of some 17th century japanese warload, as said earlier better to get him nicked for assault.

Who / what put you off the judo classes? Id highly recommend it as a good martial arts base if the teaching is geared up towards modern competition e.g. the stuff done in the Olympic Games and the coach is half decent (can tell this by watching & seeing if he trains / teaches throws in a static way, which is crap, or with the players constantly on the move, which is good). "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Alien

20 posts

Monday 26th April 2004 at 09:33

This can't be right- surely.

We all like to train tough but some one inflicting power and pain on a student just don't sound right.

Anyone wrapping the back of my knee with a wooden stick would end up wearing it!!

My advice would be go along to the lesson with an open mind and if the teached really is dishing out this sort of thing don't go back.

If you don't at least try one lesson you will never know.

Let us know how you get on

"hell ain't a bad place to be"

"hell ain't a bad place to be"

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Monday 26th April 2004 at 20:03

we'll i've learned some more. he doesnt do things like that to new students, only more experianced ones, but my friend was in grade 6 before he quite and was given the red palm a bunch of times. he never said if the stick was used on him or if he just watched it to others.

I had a long discussion with my english teacher today about the classes and this guy actually seems like he might be a good (just tough) teacher. he was telling me about how he teachers all kinds of other beneficial things and just made it seem really interesting. the only bad part is that the classes are from 8pm till 10pm, 3 times a week so i wouldnt be able to walk there (probably about an hours walk from my home) so late at night.

and what put me off of judo is that it is basically just grapples and throws. i feel punches and kicking are more interesting. and im not competitive so there really is no point to train for competition, just for self-benefit.

Sir Moonface

Regular

26 posts

Friday 30th April 2004 at 10:33

He sounds like a bit of a c**t to me.

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Wednesday 12th May 2004 at 21:01

that instructor sounds like a huge cunt.

if your in canada go to a wrestling class, it will make you fit and strong. then when mr kijitsu tries his red end technique on your chest you can high c him and slam him on his head My prediction is pain