Back to forum

BJJ vs Judo

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 10th May 2004 at 22:26

I got this via email, construtive thoughts please...

I just wanted to ask you what do you think is the best grappling art, judo or bjj.
--------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 11th May 2004 at 13:16

got what? pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 11th May 2004 at 15:09

That question in an email. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Adam Mckay

3 posts

Tuesday 11th May 2004 at 18:18

I sent the e-mail to Rob and I would like some opinions please.

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Wednesday 12th May 2004 at 15:53

Brazilian Jui-Jitsu because one can`t be sure they will remain on their feet in a real fight and if the fight goes to the floor they can still defend themselves with BJJ.

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Wednesday 12th May 2004 at 20:55

but you can't defend your self with judo? im not to bad at bjj but have had a hard time tapping some judo guys, people count out judo to much, its more of who and where u train judo decides how good the judoka is.

bjj is awesome also, but is very passive. My prediction is pain

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 15th May 2004 at 00:22

Ross....you sum it up perfectly when you say it is the standard of the player that counts. I train at Shadsworth Judo Club in Blackburn, probably the best regular attended adult class in the North West, why is it well attended?...because it demands high standards every training session.

It has a top notch experienced coach 40yrs+ & many dan grades with 15,20,30 years of experience, many who have achieved at national level (remember J.B. the lad I brought with his mate Andy to Castle BBA...well Andy is now a national squad player and on a full time judo scholarship at Bath University....the club breeds class).

I now train BJJ as well, though only just scratching the surface yet, but whereas I find I have some success at BJJ groundwork, the Judo lads wipe me off the mat in groundwork, when they pin and its on properly, you aint gonna get out of it! And taking them down to ground in from standing...not a chance. I get laughed at for trying single & double leg shoots cause I get nowhere near them...their mobility is too good and counter-throwing is devastating.

IMO Judo is the toughest combat sport there is....not the roughest, in terms of damage inflicting, but most demanding in terms of physical & mental co-ordination & endurance.

However, as I opened the comment it is dependant on the standard you train at....there is poor judo about as well. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Saturday 15th May 2004 at 15:04

judo is not as tough as wrestling, as i have met sloppy overweight and crap judo guys, i have yet to meet any wrestlers the same My prediction is pain

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 19th May 2004 at 21:38

we didnt have any trouble with your guys pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Thursday 20th May 2004 at 10:25

bwhahahahhahahahah @ andys trolling, yes steve ask your mate (the judo gb representative) if he has learned a face bar defence yet My prediction is pain

Stupid Kids

16 posts

Thursday 20th May 2004 at 20:39

Anyone heard of catch wrestling. Pretty cool stuff to make your fight better. Check it out....
http://www.catchwrestle.com/historypage.htm

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 20th May 2004 at 21:19

Yep, the facebar give him some grief and hes not forgotten it...still looking to get his own back on you sometime.

As for turning us all over, my memory must be poor...I thought we held are own pretty well to say none of us had any idea on the rules.

BTW are you still planning to go regular training at Quannum? I heard something about you recouping from injury? A couple of lads I know are going there regular now as well as GB Manchester and I wouldn't mind coming over and joining in a session or two at sometime.
"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

frydrystrikergrappler

2 posts

Friday 21st May 2004 at 03:30

I am a practicer of striking art of muay thai and brazilian ju jitsu background for about 5 years. I also train in combat submission wrestling. I know that there are alot of people that train out there like in judo that probaly could take me. but i do know with my training already in grappling i could hold my own and maybe take the fight. Know with striking its a whold different situation.
You can keep the grappler/ thrower at bay from shooting in or taking the close distance and in the clinch with the judo training i already did could counter fight the grappler and hopefully put them in check. thats just my opinion.

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Friday 21st May 2004 at 15:16

no one mentioned any turnovers, we just stated we tapped you all out. hes welcome to get his revenge, i ahve improved a little *big grin* and would love to face b..... i mean roll with him again. My prediction is pain

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 21st May 2004 at 16:46

what you mean no idea on the rules? you told me you didnt want to go from standing and neither did the Judo lads as that's what they do each week, I explained the rules and away we went, white belt BJJ vs Judo 2nd dan (i think) = white belt by submission.

I am not dissing Judo just pointing out that nowadays Judo is lacking any real ground game and concentrating more on throwing as thats what wins judo comps.

oh yeah when we went from standing, simon (blue belt BJJ, 68kgs threw judo 3rd dan 14 stone)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

peace pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 22nd May 2004 at 22:11

Agree with you about the judo ground game not being practiced enough, or given enough time during competition. Thats why I've started BJJ as there is more to learn for ground play. I'm already finding that against judo guys of similar weight to me I'm beginning to have the edge (and after only 10 BJJ lessons), particularly by the use of sweeps which they do not really learn and so are not switched on enough to read them and prevent them.

Not so the case against the heavier and more experienced judo guys though, they are masters at using their body weight to their advantage in keeping you 'pressed' thereby restricting your movement & breathing....will need to learn a lot more before I can deal with them. Oh, and they all still batter me good style in standing play.

BTW Sheffield should become a hotbed of good judo before long, now that the 'BJA centre of excellence' has opened there. It will mean that national squad players will be training there on a regular basis, so a good oportunity for anyone who is interested in seeing judo at a good standard. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Sunday 23rd May 2004 at 16:03

but i thought your guys held your own, dont forget the no gi judo rules andy, where i bashed the second dan My prediction is pain