Back to forum

Grading

Author Comments

lance

Regular

26 posts

Sunday 13th June 2004 at 15:02

I've been practising jujitsu for 3 months now. My clubs' grading is in 3 weeks. I've covered all the things in my syllabus. However, I've only been taken thru' my kata (which will be part of my grading) once. I'm told that the kata (novice blocking kata - all downward blocks) will be the final part of my grading. My instructor doesn't have a diagram showing the steps of this kata. Nor can I find anything on the net that shows the steps. Anyone know where I can get such a diagram ?
I'm keen to grade but don't want to balls it up by not knowing this kata

Thanx

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 17th June 2004 at 20:19

Let your instructor know your concern and that you have only been shown it once and would appreciate refreshing on it. If he/she is decent this will be okay and they will show you, if not then I dont think you will ever learn anything properly at their club. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Friday 18th June 2004 at 16:07

you could listen to steves sound advice. or leave the club or any ma club that you have to do katas at. katas are for the gay My prediction is pain

lance

Regular

26 posts

Sunday 20th June 2004 at 14:04

I spoke to my instructor about this after yesterdays lesson. We're going to go thru my kata next week.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 20th June 2004 at 19:58

Good result...sounds like your teacher has a good attitude.

Stick with him, learn what you can and give him respect for teaching you, but always keep an open mind as to what you are being taught and as you gain experience (6-12 months) look elsewhere also, as to what is on offer.

You may decide you are content with what you are doing and stick with it, or you may wish to compliment it or even replace it with something else. MA is a very wide spectrum with many paths...choose your own and it could be very fulfilling.

Must have borrowed the phrase from somewhere, sounds like something from the David Carradine Kung-Fu series. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i