Back to forum

Counters to the spider guard

Author Comments

Borris

2 posts

Tuesday 13th July 2004 at 14:41

Ok-

I am fighting a mate that uses the spider guard often on me from the closed guard. He is taller than me, thus it is fustrating. We are playing around with spider guard for moving into triangle chokes, sweeps, and a few other chokes/knee bars. Now- as for counters to someone using the spider mount- I am all ears (do spiders have ears?)

The only one I used that worked a bit was rotating back on his extended leg while he is in the spider mount and trapping his ankle, going into the achilles lock on his ankle. It is annoyingly tough to do since his hands are grabbing my sleeves while in the spider mount.

thanks

- Borris "There is no spoon? How the hell do you eat your cocoa puffs then?!"

- Borris

"There is no spoon?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 13th July 2004 at 18:16

Spider mount????

Uses spider guard from closed guard??????

answer: you need to learn BJJ pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Borris

2 posts

Wednesday 14th July 2004 at 11:44

Wow. What is this- a teen site?

From your comments, I must be on the wrong site. I am looking for people that utilize Ju-Jitsu in both Brazilian and Army Combative styles-

If you don't know what a spider guard is, you don't do BJJ according to the theory and technique of the Gracie family.

Sighhhhh.

Signing off and deleting my link to this waste of a forum where the longest thread talks about Ali versus Lee. Please. Back to school, kids. - Borris "There is no spoon? How the hell do you eat your cocoa puffs then?!"

- Borris

"There is no spoon?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 19th July 2004 at 16:58

Ok, I asked what a spider mount was not a spider guard, i also wondered how you used a spider guard (form of open guard) with a closed guard, I could help you if you asked a proper question.

pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 19th July 2004 at 20:22

I was confused too. Re-reading his post I think what he means by spider mount is his own position in respect to his opponents spider guard, i.e opponent on his back with legs outstretched into Boris's hip-joints or armpits and holding Boris's jacket sleeves hence Boris in a mount on opponents feet. This would then make sense when he says his defence is a pull back (attempt to break the sleeve grips) and locking arms onto one of opponents calves to get the achiles.

Just unfamiliar terminology as it is usually only the controlling or dominant position that is given a name.

So good defence / counters to being held in spider guard? Andy will give good advice if you are prepared to take it Boris. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 19th July 2004 at 20:47

Spider guard from closed guard is still confusing me. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 21st July 2004 at 23:38

"Andy will give good advice if you are prepared to take it Boris."

I'm not sure I like what is being implied here. Andy has given me lots of advice over the last couple of years, but has never forced me to have anal sex with him. Mr. Steve, I hereby issue you with a writ concerning libelous statements made against my BJJ instructor.

In related news, some people (Boris) take internerd forums far too seriously. "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 22nd July 2004 at 18:41

my solicitors will be in touch Steve
pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com