Back to forum

Grading...

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Monday 11th October 2004 at 09:38

Friday is my first grading for my white belt in Traditional Ju-Jitsu. I'm not quite ready for it I don't think. I can do most of the moves. Just not quite sure on the "Recumbant Ankle Throw". Any tips? Also has anyone any tips on grading in general?

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 11th October 2004 at 21:18

After blocking the attackers punch (or ducking dependant on your syllabus), collapse / side breakfall close to opponents legs hooking one of his/her legs with your forearms. If you do this you have controlled the opponent and your distance will be just right to then hook/push his/her other leg with your feet. The push should be such that it buckles your opponent sideways, not backwards, away from the leg you have trapped with your hands.

If your first move is to collapse away from your opponents legs, then you are in a vulnerable position for a powerfull kick, you will have no control / capture of him/her, and your resulting foot trap/push will be to drop your opponent backwards which he/she will step off with ease.

Hope this helps. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 11th October 2004 at 21:24

In answer to your other question, just try to be confident and commit to the moves you do (without obviosly being reckless with your opponent). If you do clam up / brain freeze, step back and say so to your instructor & ask can you come back to thet move (likelyhood is it will come back to you or instructor will prompt you to remembering it). Good luck! "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 11th October 2004 at 22:19

You probably already know but the syllabus pictures are fantastic on this site and does show the technique.

Just keep practicing it aswell and GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it goes and if you can what format your grading took?

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 09:04

Yeah, I'll let you know. I've had to learn loads of extra's on top of my syllabus. Like another ten moves techniques as they sometime ask for them. It's not doing the techniques that's causing me the trouble. It's remembering their names and the order they go in. But I'll definately let you know how I get on!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 11:43

Is it typical of a white belt syllabus for them to ask for more? Surely they can't request moves off say a green belt syllabus if you dont know them / need to know? I know at my club if your going for a higher grade they will ask you to perform techniques of a lower belt aswell as the one your grading for? Seems a bit rough for a beginner to learn white belt and ten extra moves?

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 13:38

Well the idea behind it is to stop people just turning up and learning their syllabus. I think the idea behind it is that to be a white belt, or any belt you need know more than is just in your syllabus. I.e., there's no escapes from wrist grabs in the white belt syllabus, but they're the simplest escapes, and a white belt shoud probably know it. That's what the Sensei said anyways. He's a 6th Dan Traditional Ju Jitsu Sensei. Are you studying BJJ and TJJ?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 14:25

Id agree with that for example if your a yellow belt and going for green you should know everything from White, Yellow and Green and you should be able to demonstrate the "moves" from the three? But for white i think as its a 'beginners' belt then surely its enough to know your syllabus? Although i can see the benefit of learning new stuff anyway!

Then again my grading for whit belt is also pending so maybe i dont know, maybe thats how it works?????

I had a go at BJJ, very good but hard, im concentrating on the TJJ at the moment cos im really enjoying it and and also do Muay Thai which clashes with the BJJ (not enough days in the week!)

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 15:20

Think i missed a belt out there but hopefully you all get what im on about??

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 15:20

I've been toying with the idea of Muay Thai. My mate Bin Tyler held the Britsh something or other for a bit. He could get me into it but I wanna do BJJ. But just need someone to go with as I don't fancy going on my own. Where do you do your TJJ? I'm in Great Yarmouth. Do you know what your syllabus is or what federation it's from? Ours Is the Bushido Ju Jitsu Federation Great Britain. BJJF(GB). If yours is the same we can trade info on the syllabus etc.

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 12th October 2004 at 15:22

What happend in your first BJJ lesson by the way, sI? what was the format? I'd appreciate you telling me so I can know what to expect.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 12:12

White Belt is

Mat etiquite, breakfalls, escapes from back / front strangle, straight arm lock, shoulder lock, hip throw, strikes, recument ankle throw.

Think thats it. Is yours similar?

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 17:32

Yeah, mine's,

Breakfalls
4 escapes from front strangel
1 escape from rear strangle
2 armlocks
2 shoulder locks
Recumbant Ankle Throw
Hip Throw
8 block Kata
Then extras ?!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 14th October 2004 at 09:17

No Kata for me though!

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 14th October 2004 at 20:17

Well, it's not really a kata, just a demonstration of all the blocks.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 15th October 2004 at 10:18

Same here then we have to demonstrate blocks and strikes etc.

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 15th October 2004 at 10:25

Yeah. It's probably the same syllabus. I've got my grading tonight. Are you training for your white then? When is your grading?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 15th October 2004 at 10:29

That was quick Nathan, mine isnt until a few weeks they have grading so many months or something.

Do you feel confident then ? Got your ankle throw sorted?

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 15th October 2004 at 11:45

Yeah., I'm pretty confindent in things like that. Ankle throw is easy. I was just confusing to start with.

The things that confuse me are when you see something done. But you have to do it on the other side. if you know what I mean. But once you sit and think about it. They're easy.

I'll post tonight about 10.30. and let you know how I get on. To be honest, I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, our grading's are every three months, but you have to wait a while between belts. It's a minimum 6 month's between the white and yellow. I hope to be ready for that., I should be, I think it's only 20 moves in the yellow belt syllabus. So that shouldn't be too hard. Because in the yellow, you can just about base most of the moves on white belt ones. So you've got something to go from. When you're going for your white belt, everything is new. So it's quite a hard belt to go for.

Anyways., wish me luck and I'll let you know.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 15th October 2004 at 12:06

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!