Back to forum

Pancrase

Author Comments

Armitageshanks

6 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 14:03

Hi,
After much thought about learning ground stuff to add to my seven or so years standup, i plucked up the courage to go to a pancrase class. It was all i thought it would be with regards to learning a cheeky arm bar here and there. As a thirty something person im a bit dubious about joining a club where most members are in there 20's and talk about cagewars and the like and are quite pumped physically. As there seems to be a lack of belts in the Art i generally have a probable misconception that this style could be too rough for me and not suited to those who want to do it for self defence . I've always seen pics. of the older jujitsu man but not so Pancrase;as im only 5ft7.5 could BJJ be better for me,. I was quite glad that i managed to get out of some holds through relaxing and letting the stronger guy wrestle themselves. I guess the obvious answer would be to go on untill it gets to a rather testing point ,but i really don't want to recieve cuts or popped joints the missus would go mental.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 14:30

What is pancrase???????? Similar to BJJ ? Submission type stuff?

Armitageshanks

6 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 15:19

Pancrase is a mix of BJJ,sombo,wrestling and Muay Thai. Check the site out Pancrase London or UK. i believe one of its more known fighters is Frank Shamrock or his brother.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 15:49

Wasnt he a shoot fighter?

Armitageshanks

6 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 16:00

Dunno, but on the wrestling channel they have a programme called 'shoot interview' he did say he done Pancrase amongst other things which sort of stuck in my mind as i was contemplating doing a class.

Armitageshanks

6 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 16:03

just remembered theres a ken and Frank Shamrock don't know who's who tho.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 16:11

Think Ken was a shootfighter just checked out pancrase looks like a good MA or is it an MMA ? Certainly looks like alot of arts rolled into one.

Think if your worried about getting hurt by "cage fighters" this certainly does'nt look like a healthy way to spend your time but still looks very good.

Armitageshanks

6 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 16:28

Yeah you could be right, but theres a phrase about a big fish in a pond, but a small one in the ocean. I know im stepping into the lions den a bit but i really would'nt hang around unnecessarily. The whole submission thing is really appealling and i see the weakness of standup when someone is determined to ground you.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 16:53

Sounds like another candidate for BJJ!!!!!!!!!

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 13th October 2004 at 17:26

Certainly does sound like you'd be best with straight BJJ, you already have many years with stand-up training.

Maybe once you've been with BJJ for a good while then Pancrase maybe for you, once you are more comfortable on the ground.

But as always, just go and try it, otherwise you'll never know, although you'll hear BJJ players talking about cagefighting too, but it does sound BJJ will be a bit more relaxed, and what it sounds like what you're after (just from reading inbetween the lines). --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Thursday 23rd December 2004 at 10:54

I always thought pancrase was what they did in Ancient Greece. Is someone trying to make out they have reinvented it?

See how well I block all your

Alien

20 posts

Friday 24th December 2004 at 11:17

Very big in Japan

I believe they are not allowed to use clenched fists.

Bas Rutten was an ex champ and defeated Frank Shamrock in an excellent fight.

It's a mixture of all sorts BJJ, Thai etc

"hell ain't a bad place to be"