Back to forum

Mixing Martial Arts

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Sunday 17th October 2004 at 20:26

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on mixing martial arts. For example. I'm currently training in Traditional Ju-Jitsu. But I'm soon going to be going to Brazillain Ju-Jitsu too. Do you guys think this is a waste as they're quite similar? Or would they complement each other? What do you think would be a good combination?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 18th October 2004 at 17:33

I personally do TJJ and Muay Thai. I have actually found the strikes quite different as Sensai shows one way but my MT insturctor another (v confusing, maybe its just how there drilled?) ! Just have to remember to adapt my style for different classes. I have also participated in a bjj class and loved it just dont have the time for it all as TJJ is the one for me.. (for now.......... anyways!)

I think from my own experience a good grappling art (bjj)and a good striking art (boxing, muay thai) compliments each other perfectly. Wont bore you with it all but when it goes to the ground Muay Thai and Hip Throws (i know there are more......) wont do squat to some guy sitting on top of you pounding your face! ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 19th October 2004 at 00:45

Hey sl and Nathan, how old are you guys? --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 19th October 2004 at 10:48

I'm nearly 22. Why? I'm starting BJJ in a fortnight at that East Angian Gracie Jiu Jitsu Club that I posted a link for a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it. Robsco, do you think that It's a waste doing both BJJ n TJJ? I do enjoy the TJJ.

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Tuesday 19th October 2004 at 13:14

after a month of bjj youll prob drop the tjj

when u do join a boxing gym

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 19th October 2004 at 18:48

24! ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 19th October 2004 at 18:48

How old are you robsco, how old when you first took up JJ? ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

DaNnY M~R!

1 posts

Wednesday 20th October 2004 at 00:53

From the United States, thanks for having a great forum guys! DANNY!

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 20th October 2004 at 08:41

I'm 25, started TJJ about 4 years ago, stopped last year after getting to Brown Belt, couldn't see any point in continuing, and BJJ for about 3 years. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 20th October 2004 at 18:23

Why no black belt Robsco ? ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 20th October 2004 at 22:41

When you start training, the belts are ever so important, but after a while you kinda lose interest, and it's more about the training on it's own, and by that point Ju-Jitsu seemed to me just useful for controlling a drunk uncle at a wedding. :o)

So moving into something else has nothing to do with belts, which suits BJJ cos' ya can expect to be a white belt for around 3 years anyway.

Plus, it was the ground-fighting i enjoyed the most, so moved easily into BJJ.

TJJ is cool, and great fun, with a bit of everything, but after a while I started to see what I enjoyed the most, and moved into that area.

Maybe one day I'll go back and get my Black Belt, but it would only be for the hell of it, not for the true aspects of Ju-Jitsu, which is why I haven't bothered for over a year. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 21st October 2004 at 22:55

To be honest the belts dont bother me so much as of yet...Maybe cos i havent got one! I just though seeing as youd put so much time into it would be a good thing to make black belt but i understand what your saying about it ! ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!