Back to forum

Follow on From Chokes.

Author Comments

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 6th November 2004 at 11:06

After my rant on the chokes discussion here's a question.

Does anyone know of anyone being killed / paralysed etc from any MA TRAINING (not comps.). Anyone know what the legal position you would be in and the club? ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Friday 12th November 2004 at 04:51

Do not pass go..do not collect £200.00 pounds...........Go straight to jail.I f an attacker came at me with a knife and I disarmed him.I may have the right to break his wrist to incapacate him from attacking me further.
Which the police may or may not understand.But I wouldnt get away with cutting his throat on the grounds he was going to cut me. Kieran Doran

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 12th November 2004 at 12:14

SL, I'm sure you'd be fine (legally) for accidental death, you're club and most of all, your instructor may be landed in the sh*t for it.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it would be interesting to find out for sure. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 12th November 2004 at 15:34

Not that im planning to kill mmy buddy...Just a question i might ask one of the instructors see what they say.. ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 12th November 2004 at 15:48

Probably get charged with involuntary manslaughter, in court you and your club & instructor would be scrutinised as to how it happened, what precautions had been taken to prevent such an accident occuring, was training partner of similar standard / experience as yourself and competant to be rolling with you in the first place, have you and your club & instructor sufficient insurance cover in place in case of extreme accident, was there an emergency accident procedure in place and were persons at the session aware of / familiar with it, etc, etc.

Checks would be made to see if your partner had any weakness / prevailing frailty which may have affected his reaction to the choke and had your club made attemps to find out (medical questionaire), etc.

Then ultimately conviction and sentencing / aquittal would be at the descretion of the courts with all these things and any previous similar court judjements taken into account. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 12th November 2004 at 16:54

Nice one Steve, would you be jailed for involuntary man slaughter and is this different to having a fight in the street and killing someone in self defense??? ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 12th November 2004 at 17:46

You sound a bit too worried about all this sl, chill dude. :o)

Killing someone in self-defence would probably result in the same thing, involuntary man-slaughter, obviously there's bound to be some cases where someone HAD to kill their attacker if the threat didn't go away and the attack was THAT serious. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy