Back to forum

Bad instructors

Author Comments

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Monday 29th November 2004 at 22:16

I trian four night a week.One night with a jujitsu/street fighting club.An the other three with a traditional japanse jujitsu club.Had to give up the street fighting club as the instructor took a spite against me for trianing with two clubs.
As I am further advanced than his own students.He was also carried out full contact demos on me for his students and made a mockery of traditional jujitsu.Has any one esle had simalar problems with an instructor.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 30th November 2004 at 10:15

I do TJJ and Muay Thai and the thing that cheeses me off is that i know how to punch, kick elbow etc from my Muay Thai but the TJJ instructor will correct me to "their way" we all know TJJ is pants for strikes (its not a big part of it i suppose) so why dont the instructors get themselves down to a Muay Thai gym and pick up some skills? What does anybody else think?

Think you done the best thing Keiran, but do you think he mightve been using you as a crash test dummy cos you are more advanced ???? ________________________________________________

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Saturday 4th December 2004 at 21:46

Yes I think know I was being used as a crash test dummy.Why do instructors used advanced students this way to show there students if there methods are supposed to be so good.Thanks for your comment.......Kieran

sl

Resident

855 posts

Sunday 5th December 2004 at 14:22

I think they should because more advanced students know what is going to happen if you know what i mean. They know where they are going to fall how hard etc. Some beginners panic and can end up getting hurt.

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 5th December 2004 at 17:14

That's true but I'm sure we've all heard of instructors that take it a little too far, for what reason who knows.

The Admin Guy

Uke4Life

4 posts

Sunday 5th December 2004 at 21:35

My personal philosophy is to look for the fear. Bad instructors may fear being exposed for being poor practioners, or for "losing" students, etc.

I have never met a good instructor whose first reaction to learning that a student has background in another art or is going to a different school to be anything but "Cool! What have you learned?"

The same goes for incorporating what a student already knows. A good instructor is always learning from the students. If there is a reason for doing the strikes in a certain way, he/she then must be able to clearly explain it. It may be that there is a pedagogical reason ("For this class, it's important that all students do this in the same way so that confusion is reduced.") If so, the student must honestly and earnestly accept the rule or seek a new teacher.

Uke4Life

Gogs

8 posts

Wednesday 8th December 2004 at 12:38

my first instructor was from karate when i was 7..
He was big fat arsehole who threatened to cut the boys dicks off whenever they stepped outta line.. how i enjoyed taking the piss out of him =p

Only the dead see the end of w

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 8th December 2004 at 18:53

You took the piss out of him when you were 7? :-D

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Tuesday 14th December 2004 at 14:56

Really all these "styles" are just bs anyway. My insructor takes no style at all. I couldn't tell you what I'm learning. One day we'll practice double leg takedowns and fireman's carry like wrestlers, inner thigh throws and outer reapings like judo fighters and practice combos like punch, front snap kick, low round kick like kickboxers. This is in one session. If you could find just one instructor like this you wouldn't have to go to all these guys. It just takes somebody with an open mind.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 14th December 2004 at 17:21

My only question is where did your instructor learn HIS style? You cant just brand em all BS surely your training takes bits out of em all. I cant see a two legged take down being a good manouver on a saturday night down the local boozer!:-p

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Tuesday 14th December 2004 at 21:04

lol, personally I wouldn't be dumb enough to get into those fights. They could just pull out a gun or a knife and kill you. Simple as that or one of their buddies could join in and stomp your head in. Crazy as it sounds though I've seen that type of stuff used in bar fights before. One time I saw a fight outside a bar where a guy got put in a fireman's carry straight to the concrete. I guess his primitive skull must of protected him well because somehow he got back up and kept going. Looked like it hurt though.

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Tuesday 14th December 2004 at 21:42

And btw, I admit I was going a little too far to say that. It's just that it bothers me when i hear about people that train under instuctors that insist only their techniques will work like that street fighting coach of his. And technically that instructor's style I was talking about is kickboxing, but he knows that that isn't enough to win in MMA so he learned some from a few other styles to add in ground game and all that. He's very open minded to all the disciplines because he has learned how to cross train for that type of competition.

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Wednesday 29th December 2004 at 09:07

I suppose the reason the instructor might not want you doing moves from other styles has to do with grading in an organisation. All the lower grade students might copy you and then it would cause havoc at gradings where they weren't doing 'genuine' technique from their 'style'. I had this problem when I trained at WTF TKD clubs after training old-style Chang Hon TKD (also had it when I went to ITF clubs). The TJJ club I train at now seems a bit more eclectic, so I'm enjoying the liberation from unrealistic competition style of TKD.

See how well I block all your