Back to forum

Philosophy of Ju Jitsu

Author Comments

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Friday 3rd December 2004 at 16:33

Hi all, read the posting from Robsco a few days ago about many people visiting but too few of them actually getting involved, so here I am!

Ive been learning ju-jitsu for about 1 year now and believe that with a good and inspiring teacher it is a very comprehensive martial art. Something ive been wondering about for a long time now is, what is the philosophy of Ju-jitsu, and what is the philosophy of the moves in ju-jitsu? Ive been looking but not quite found something that would explain this....?

PS great website, great forum, nice one!

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 3rd December 2004 at 20:38

Sorry my friend... Your signature is mistaken...

Ryu was ok. But Ken was the damned master!

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Friday 3rd December 2004 at 21:47

Ken would have had to have defeated Sheng-long to be the master!

But on a more serious note, has anyone come accross any material charting the thought and the perpose of motion behind ju-jitsu? I have heard the odd person say things like "movement is what ju-jitsu is about" or "its all about balance" etc just wondering if someone can point me to a more official source? cheers chaps, oh, and Ryu runs circles around the undisciplined Ken!!

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Saturday 4th December 2004 at 11:15

I still disagree...

But to answer your question. I think the idea behind Ju-Jitsu is to turn the opponents force against them. Say, if you block a punch and pull them through into a throw. You're using their force to help unbalance them thus making it easier to throw them. This is why in traditional jujitsu at least, size and strength doesn't play a too bigger part in performing most techniques.

Guys?

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 10:23

hmmmm... interesting.... that was what i was looking for, but as ever one question leads to another: does this mean that if I find myself having to use good amounts of force then my technique leaves something to be desired?

Also, how does this then differ from the philosophy of thai-chi, isnt that about turning the attackers force back on them aswell? Not being obnoxious (i hope) just a little confused, but genuinely appreciate your help dude!

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 10:44

I think there are lots of arts that use an attackers force and strength against them.

I would also have thought that the philosophy of Ju-Jitsu is really the whole philosophy of the martial arts as a whole.

The Admin Guy

NinjaWJJKO

1 posts

Wednesday 22nd December 2004 at 11:12

Hello! I'm a new user! I pratice Ju-Jitsu in WJJKO...
I'm italian & my englih is not very well! :-))

http://www.unlimited-jujitsu.o

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 22nd December 2004 at 11:19

Welcome to the forum NinjaWJJKO.

The Admin Guy

DataTek

7 posts

Wednesday 16th March 2005 at 14:33

I've also been wondering about the philosophy, and more specifically, the ideology of JJ.
I've found it to be extremely practical, but therefore a bit lacking in the aesthetic sense.

Of course, if I get attacked by someone with a knife I'll want to have studied something that will keep me alive with all extremities attached, but I think most would agree that martial arts aren't only about violence, and have an aspect of mental and spiritual development. Assuming this is true, how does JJ cater?

------------------------------

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 17th March 2005 at 08:14

You on some crazy drugs?????

DataTek

7 posts

Friday 18th March 2005 at 08:49

I take my vitamins every day.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 18th March 2005 at 09:02

Good lad.... ;-)

DataTek

7 posts

Friday 18th March 2005 at 11:45

Thank you.

I'm still curious about JJ ideology, though.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 18th March 2005 at 12:11

Dont let it worry you some people get too wrapped up in the theory and history of jitsu, just learn it and enjoy it!!! :-)

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 18th March 2005 at 18:09

the aim of JJ is to win, kill or be killed, it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, etc

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Gogs

8 posts

Sunday 20th March 2005 at 10:44

As most of you probably know, Jujitsu was the secondary fighting skill of the Samurai in ancient Japan. It was not only art of self defense, but art of war.

The purpose of Samurai learning Jujitsu was so that in the unlikely case they were ever disarmed, they could still be a lethal weapon. They could still have the chance to disarm their attacker, throw them and break their arm in battle. It was a skill used to survive without weapons.

Jujitsu is a skill thats used to end fights, using every dirty tactic in the book such as pressure points, chokes, bonebreaking moves and using your attackers force against them. It is designed so that small people can still overcome any opponent with the right moves.

Only the dead see the end of w