Back to forum

A question, and some bad news

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Saturday 18th December 2004 at 20:56

Firstly the bad news. Last week, me being a bit 'beered' up. I slipped down an uncovered drain and tore my cruciate ligament in my knee. So looks like JuJitsu is over for me for at least 3-6 months. Great eh? The only good point of this is that I'll probably be able to get some cash outta the Council. Still a bummer though.

Secondly, you BJJ guys should know... When you're applying a choke, do you usually take out the windpipe as in a strangle or the cartoid arteries as in a sleeper. Or do you just get both at the same time? I'm just asking as I'm fascinated with Sleepers when you can knock someone out with in a few seconds rather than cutting off the air supply which would take longer.... what's the most effective choke to cut off the vascular arteries... Would a Bar Choke do this as the Gi is wrapped around the neck?

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Saturday 18th December 2004 at 21:18

Sorry to hear about your injury.Hope your back on your feet before the three to six months.

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Saturday 18th December 2004 at 21:54

To be honest Kieran. I'm gutted. Just before Christmas too. Great.

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 19th December 2004 at 09:28

All I know is that when you slap a good choke on someone it's over quick. It's possible to hold your breath for a minute or so, but a choke will cause someone to panic alot of times since they will try to struggle free. This takes alot of the wind out of them to begin with. Then, take in account that they may not of sucked in a good breath to stay in that choke with. They won't be planning on hanging on in that choke anyway. All I know is that after about 3 seconds in a choke a person's whole face will turn red which is a sign they are already losing oxygen. Since they will only last about 20 seconds in it anyway I personally wouldn't worry about cutting wind their air off any faster.

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Sunday 19th December 2004 at 09:34

I,ve had many discussions about this with instructors.And we all agree if someone gets you in a good choke hold then tap out.

Theres one hold me used that you will pass out after ten seconds.But if the hold is kept on after you have passed out then theres a risk of permanant damage.

The only advice I can give you is to make sure your sensi checks to see if your doing the hold correctly and dont be afraid to ask about affectivness.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 20th December 2004 at 08:58

Gutted Nathan.... Good luck with the healing buddy

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Monday 20th December 2004 at 09:23

Sorry to hear that Nathan. Hope you have a good recovery and come back even stronger!

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

sentinal

Regular

21 posts

Monday 20th December 2004 at 12:02

No 2 ways about it, a good, firm choke can't go wrong. Here's a little story: Went out a few Fridays ago and a friend of mine got into a nasty fight. Any way, this girl was sitting on her and beating the day lights out of her. All i did (IN MY DRUNK STATE) was grab her frtom behind. An unexpected choke is dangerous, she was already out of breath, after 12 seconds tops, she passed out. So ya just work on your chokes Nay nay and sorry to hear about your knee, I can just imagine the pain, hope you got a good baby sitter..........

This art comes with alot more