Back to forum

In the street

Author Comments

Tethydcan

8 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 08:14

Would you try to stand and box or would you take it straight to the ground???

I would try to keep it standing unless he was a better striker then I would have to take him down. Just wondering.

Some of us think holding on ma

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 09:27

hmmm..., not an authority on the issue by a long way, but in my experience street fights are decided in a matter of seconds, so not enough time to formulate a strategy. A few good shots followed by a throw and a finisher normally end it for me, however it has to be said, this is only for when you find yourself in a situation where the use of force becomes unavoidable.

To paraphrase a film, "with great power comes great responsibility" and perhaps our responsibility for the power we carry as trained Martial Artists is to exeplify the restraint that we learn in our disciplines. Ultimately this will have more of an effect on your assailants life than if you were to drop them on their head a few times.

Sun Tzu in "The Art of War" talks of recognising a situation before it arises and never letting it become a possibility. Master Sun considered a man of such skill to be the ultimate master.

I think it was a middle eastern scholar from around 600 years ago (AL-Ghazali if memory serves me correctly, long time since I did the whole reading around thing!) that said "Remember! only a bare branch stands straight and proud, a branch leaden with fruit will be bowed and humble" ;-)

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 09:43

Just read the original post again and realised i went completely off the subject! I'm too tired for this.... :-|

Anyhoo, to answer your question, I find if I can look for an opening and get a couple of good weakeners in then get your assailant to the ground. I find a hip-throw or body drop to be quite effective for this, although if youre not completely comfortable with these then they can go badly wrong!!

Once your attacker is on the floor a finisher, kick/punch/strike normally wraps it up, and leaves you standing in case the chap has sympathisers ready to fight his corner. I realise that this reads like a cheap bit of MA fiction, but it works for me.

What are your experiences?

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 09:56

I would have to agree with Ryu.But if my attacker was bigger,stronger or more agresssive than me and I thought there was a possabilty that even after a punch or kick on the ground that he was going to get back up.I would try and completely finished him by maybe by breaking his wrist.
I dont mean to sound like a thug and I am very copntrolled and focused.
But if you use pressure points or I know its a bit extreme.But if you break your attackers wrist hes going to lose all heart continueing on.

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 10:01

I would agree with Ryu.But depending on how much force was required I would bring pressure points into play.Or in extreme circumstances moved to break a wrist or dislocated a finger.

I dont mean to sound like a thug but its the small things that make you lose heart.Most guys/girls can take a slap in the face.

But its extremly annoying if you have a small splinter under a finger nail.

alucarD_The_Stampede

16 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 10:04

im talkin from experience when i say this but the person who posted before me is very right lol, i dislocated a finger in a fight, i won the fight but when my finger popped out of socket i was close to not trying to fight back cause it was my left index finger (and im left handed) but i didnt want to lose so i got a couple more punches in and it was over... but he was talkin about broke bones which is another area im familiar in, i hit a wall once and broke the bone of my pinky in my palm, as soon as i hit the wall i couldnt have done anything else if i had wanted to lol, it hurt so much i just walked off....

alucarD_The_Stampede

16 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 10:07

lol and in the next post he brings up dislocated fingers lol, and as for standing or on the ground, it depends on who it is, and if they have people ready to help them out, if its just a "fair" 1 on 1 id prolly get a few hits in, knock them down and get them in a coke hold until they are done, BUT if they have friends ready to go, then id prolly just put alot of energy into one or two hits to the face cause id want to take them out as soon as possible and be standing for the next person....

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 12:47

If we were already stood up, I'd leg it.

DEFEATED IN AL

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 15:00

If the 'leg it' approach fails, you have to fight to your own strengths.

Since most people who start fights are either pissed or comfortable with their stand up, it'd have to be a takedown followed by a choke or armbar.

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Thursday 16th December 2004 at 15:01

followed by a 'leg it'

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Wednesday 29th December 2004 at 09:29

Once got jumped by the side of a road and my green cross code actually stopped me from legging it into the middle of the street (plus the whole denial that anything was happening!). Mr psycho drunk was then joined by an on-looking who wanted a share of the kill. Thankfully someone pulled them off and said "running would be a good move!" My instructor next day said, "you should have belted the guy as soon as he got too close. If it was an innocent thing then it would have been his fault for making you feel uncomfortable!" If it had gone to ground then I'd have ended up like a football at a Riverdance rehearsal!

See how well I block all your

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Wednesday 5th January 2005 at 03:28

In the street if the guy will fight you fair it's not that hard to win if you know what you are doing. You must put yourself in the mind of your opponent. They are focused on kicking your ass, not blocking, not technique, not balance.... They are nothing, but half terrified, half pissed off unskilled opponents in most cases. Concepts like protecting the chin, or setting up a stance are meaningless to them. Ask a lamen how they fight and they will tell you straight up "I'm not gonna worry about protecting my chin, or doing anything besides something slow, weak, and retarded because I know that rage will win in the end" and they will honestly believe that.

Simple common mistake.... If they don't protect their chin, pop then straight on it every chance you get. Straight jab, minimal travel distance, turn your body with the punch, BAM! right between the hands and until they learn the basic concept of fighting which is "keep them damn hand up!". You'll be suprised with how many people are wide open for this.

Then, take advantage of a good fighting stance. They will probably lunge at you with retarded whipping right hooks aimed for nowhere half the time. Just pop them on the chin.... move... when they are off balance unload with hook, or an uppercut. You'll be turning with your body into short, on balance strikes while they flail and stumble around trying to hurt you.

When they attempt to charge at you to close in throw knee strikes, or if the going is right takedown, but watch out for the surface. A good knee strike will knock all the wind out of them, a full mount means they are toast. If they are so focused on hitting you in the head, your knees will land everytime. Do this also for people that think the only place to hit a person in the head and will be obsessed with protecting it. They'll be wide open. Keep clinching and driving knee after knee into them. Even Tank Abbott is not smart enough to figure this one out...

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 13th January 2005 at 09:46

Hey Crazymofo...

Have read a lot of your posts. You really do seem to know what you're talking about!

Nice one!