Back to forum

What is the ultimate?

Author Comments

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Friday 24th December 2004 at 15:18

How many ultimate/freestyle/no holds barred type titles are there currently, and which of these is considered the ultimate? Just for starters theres the UFC, MMA, Vale Tudo, the Escrima championships and the list goes on. Which of these is the ultimate freestyle championship tourney, anyone know?

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Friday 24th December 2004 at 15:26

What i mean is, do we a championship tournament that produces the ultimate freestyle champion of the world, or do we have 'x' number of ultimate champions depending on the belt they fight for, like in boxing?

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Tuesday 28th December 2004 at 20:46

The unofficial ultimate fighters are the ones that can come on top in the Pride Fighting Championship in Japan. Down there it is simply the Mixed Martial Arts capital of the world. If you look at UFC's lineup it is more central to American and Brazil, while Pride has fighters from all over the world including a whole lot of fighters now entering Pride from the UFC.
Watch the new Pride knockout video that just came out. You'll see in there that they have some of the fiercest fighters in the world right now. We're not just talking about a whole buncha dudes they pulled off the streets of Hunington Beach somewhere either, these guys are some real world class fighters. There's no freakin' way your local Tae Kwon Do instructor is gonna jump in there in have any chance against guys like Mirko Crocop, Igor Vonchancyn, or Wanderlei Silvia. These fighters are the top notch in conditioning, strength, endurance, and skill. In UFC they like to throw fighters in there that specialize in things like Joe's Bar and Funeral Home boxing, throw ten thousand knee kickboxing, and ground n' pound is all I know submission wrestling, but in Pride the majority of fighters know truly how to fight mixed martial arts. Other organizations like King of the Cage, and Bushido have a lot of fighters trying to build resumes to get into UFC and Pride FC, but the difference is that in Japan they understand the sport better in general then we do. Primarily because the audience down here has feed into this kung fu ninja stuff for so many years that they couldn't sell it as reality so they had to sell it as a bloodsport at least at first because people still think that you can only fight if you break boards over your head, rip charging bull's hearts out, pound on a steel table until you're an iron fist, train with shoalin monks at a temple in wing wong China to learn the art of the flying guillotine, and make kung fu movies so if you can't really fight MMA they can just use the old "not enough money and nothing to prove" bs excuse to explain why they are too scared to jump in there with a guy like Crocop and try to karate him like in the movies. So unless otherwise proven that there is some sort of Kumite international death match with Ken Ryu Dux Ha Do Ken Karate master Frank Dux , Mr. metal of honor, Secret Spy Agent, also btw a kiddy karate trainer, risking death to beat dangerous men for a ninja sword, I'm gonna say that you can rest assured the proving ground is in that Pride FC competition.

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Wednesday 29th December 2004 at 08:24

Thats great, thanks Mofo! I'll be investing in the Pride title you mentioned, cheers.

Ive seen a little ufc, but cant really get into it, they've gone and hollywood-ised it, and spoilt it in my opinion. I keep thinking were gonna see flying chairs and fake blood next, like on wrestlemania and Jerry Springer in the box to deliver his "Final Commentary" Why couldn't they have just left it alone? :-D

Wgere abouts do the Vale Tudo tournaments figure in all this, and am i right in thinking they're a bit of a mixed bag, you get some good ones and some real stinkers?