Back to forum

Grading in BJJ

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 13th January 2005 at 14:31

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about the grading in BJJ. Is Royce the only person who can Give someone their next belt? I got the impression that to earn your next belt. i.e., white to blue belt. You had to beat a few blue belts from sparring. And by showing a good ability. But in my info pack there was a sheet saying all the 'techiques' you are expected to know how to do to earn a blue belt. Also it says Royce will not promote anyone to blue belt without a years training, unless they train at least 3-4 timesa a week.

What do you think?

Robsco, do you want a copy of that techniques sheet to put on this site?

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 13th January 2005 at 17:50

Post up the list of techniques.

I don't think that's a very important list tho, just a general idea, especially coming from a Royce Network. It's just the like Royler & Renzo book - the techniques are split into belt colours, but it's only as a rough guide.

It's got nothing to do with how long you've been training, or how many techniques you know. A Black belt in Judo may well get a Blue belt in BJJ in less than a year.

It's not only Royce who can promote you, but they have to be a Brown or Black belt. Brown belts can give people Blue belts as far as i know, but no higher than that, for higher grades a Black belt would have to see you train and see how good you were.

Hope that's answered a few question, but let's see that list.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 13th January 2005 at 22:50

A question from me.....

You need a black belt to promote you but.... If your part of Royce's school can you goto say GBarra and they can promote you OR are you Royces if you now what i mean? Seems that if Royce comes to Britain once a year..... Not much progression anyway. Andy is this why you went down south ? ?? ? And another one for you please Andy if your a Blue Belt 4 stripe.. Who trains you because most places i have seen only have blue belt instructors?

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 14th January 2005 at 07:23

You can get promoted from any black belt, it doesn't have to be Royce. I think that's the last Royce Network in this country now since most other people have switched to Gracie Barra - more Black belts, more seminars, and more visiting instructors from Brazil.

The Admin Guy

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Saturday 15th January 2005 at 13:41

Hey... I alwasy though they were both the same thing! What's the difference?

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 15th January 2005 at 14:33

Not a lot of difference apart from what I said in my last post.

There used to be several Royce networks in the UK, but they've all converted to Gracie Barra.

The Admin Guy