Back to forum

strikes

Author Comments

demoman

2 posts

Tuesday 15th February 2005 at 14:22

I need to know the techniques for a harder blow, (elbow strikes, roundhouse, etc) i mean for a more powerful blow. HOW???
If so, how would i improve it?

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 15th February 2005 at 14:54

For a more powerful blow, ask Bassmonger.

For getting more power in your strikes, just make sure you use your hips more.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 15th February 2005 at 14:59

Remember to follow through with the roundhouse aswell.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 15th February 2005 at 16:08

To learn how to hit harder with correct technique go along to a boxing or thai boxing class. I'd advise you to go to both.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 15th February 2005 at 16:51

Yep......... that'll also help.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 15:19

Power comes from the legs, from bending to extension whilst torquing through hips rotation (see early Mike tyson delivering an uppercut).

In 'breaking' strikes (downward blows, dropped elbow, hammerfist, etc) the power comes from dropping your bodyweight (deadweighting) into the limb delivering the blow.

"Its not the size of the dog i

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Monday 21st February 2005 at 13:24

You have to imagine you're striking 'through' what you're hitting. That'll help with the follow-through

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 27th February 2005 at 10:24

It's all in the stance. Your power is going to come from being in proper position and using proper form. Start out with your hands to your side standing straight and take a step forward with your left foot (mine is opposite because I'm a southpaw). Point the right foot at a 45 degree angle. Your midsection should also face 45 degrees so that you can leave less body to hit. Tuck your elbows into your body and bring your hands up to chin level with your foreknuckles spaced with your eyes. Your shoulders should naturally roll forward. Tuck the chin down an inch or so and look straight. The right foreknuckles should be close to the chin and the left foreknuckles about an extra inch away. Bend at the knees, keep weight evenly distributed, but slightly on the balls of the feet. If you throw a punch, turn your shoulders over to put your body into it. Then most kicks can be done with your leading foot. Just turn on the ball of your rear foot just past 90 degrees to throw your side and roundhouse kicks and use your rear leg like you're breaking in a door to throw front kicks and knees. On the ground all the power is in leverage and what position you have. Standing up power will come from proper balance, a solid starting stance and good follow through to finish the strikes.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 28th February 2005 at 12:46

Still proper technique needs to be practiced and developed.. Get down the local MT / Boxing gym....:-D

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Sunday 13th March 2005 at 20:21

Is it just me or do all of CrazyMoFo's posts read like they've just been copied/pasted from a book? :-D

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett