Back to forum

training program?

Author Comments

ceej

1 posts

Wednesday 2nd March 2005 at 19:00

i was wondering what were the major muscles used in ju-jitsu and what type of exercises you used?
also,how long do you usually fight for?

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 3rd March 2005 at 14:22

I personally think every muscle in the body is used in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at some time or another. Too many positions moves and techniques to mention but i've found i use every muscle while sparring in BJJ. (except my love muscle);-)

Fight times vary in training and competition. In training i guess you spar until your coach says stop or you get tapped out. In competition i think its 5 mins for white, 6 mins for blue, 7-8 mins for purple, 8-9 mins for brown and 10 mins for black. When Andy reads this im sure he will correct me on this as im not 100% sure.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 3rd March 2005 at 19:01

Not sure about the muscle groups, but I would agree, just about every muscle you have.

As for fight times, like Dave says, it depends on the fight. I think one of Helio Gracie's fights lasted over 1hr 30mins - not exactly sure, and can't be arsed to go hunting for that fact, I believe it weas the same fight that he actually had his arm broken half way through and continued to fight.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 4th March 2005 at 08:56

What is the longest has anyone sparred / fought without being tapped?? Probably don't mean competition.

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 4th March 2005 at 14:57

Si... I think it's probably that Helio Gracie fight that Robsco was on about.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 4th March 2005 at 16:14

Sorry guys i meant personally ........ one for the member so to speak..

Royce has had a few marathon ones aswell i think didnt one of his pride ones go on and on.

catsshoulddrinkwhiskey

5 posts

Friday 4th March 2005 at 22:46

fir traditional jujitsu the quads come in quite a bit for hanegoshi,etc.i guess for bjj it isnt to differnet form a shootfighter's needs,legs for takedowns,plenty of ab work for when your in the guard i suppose

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Monday 7th March 2005 at 22:49

It's every muscle you can bring to the table cause to counter and guard pass you need them all.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 8th March 2005 at 19:20

do compound exercises,

bench press, squats, deadlifts!!!!, pull ups, dips and core work

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 17th March 2005 at 00:16

Forearms, they are the ones that allow you to have a strong grip. Fingertip pushups work well. Also groin, it allows you to have stronger leg locks.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Thursday 17th March 2005 at 09:03

Train your tongue to talk you out of a fight.... :-D

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

andy

Resident

729 posts