Back to forum

BJJ belts / grading:- FAO Andy

Author Comments

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 11th March 2005 at 13:47

Andy i know you are more clued up than most of the guys on Forums like Cagewarriors when it comes to the BJJ belt system and grading, so could you please answer these questions.

Why does anyone who has been graded or given a blue belt under Royce Gracie get stick?
From what ive gathered everyone who trains in BJJ in this country doesnt like the fact that Royce gives out belts when he comes to this country. Doesnt blue belt mean you have game and you know how the basics work and how to apply them etc mixed with fighting ability?
Its the first belt and the bottom of the ladder so why do guys have such a hang up about it in this country?

I noticed on Cagewarriors that Paul McVeigh who trains in Glasgow(blue under Royce) has recently been awarded his purple by Matt Thornton(straight blast gym) at a seminar hosted by Paul. People on the forum ie Atalla were saying well done and they hope the belt wasnt awarded by Royce, why is that? Whats the difference between being promoted by Royce or Matt thornton at their seminars? Why is a grade under Matt deemed better than one from Royce?

A regular slagger of Royces set-up on the forums is Jsho. Im sure you know who he is (i dont). Do you know why he does it? I thought we all have a common aim to help BJJ grow in this country which in my eyes doesnt involve slagging other guys and clubs off.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 11th March 2005 at 14:33

Is this just people in general or BJJ blackbelts?

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 11th March 2005 at 15:02

I think its only afew black belts but a hell of alot of lower belts are constantly slating Royce's grading over here.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 11th March 2005 at 16:52

i personally would rather get a purple belt from royce than matt thornton.

People slag Royce off because he openly gives belts to guys he thinks are ready, even if they dont train under him. This sometimes annoys other instructors.

All i really have to say on the matter is that, i got my blue from royce in LA, i thought i wasnt ready and when i came back to england i went to train at barra brum and barra london, i was nervous that i would get beat up but i held my own and so did ross who got promoted at the same time as me.

Blue belt is the 1st belt as you say, people are hung up on it in this country because 2 or 3 years ago there weren't many blues around, now we are getting higher grades but people are still thinking that a blue belt is all that.

I personally think people are jealous of royce and his success, he has a big name and can fill seminars, some other instructors can't.

I now train under Roger but have the utmost respect for royce and have organised, attended many seminars with him and dont think he has ever given a belt out that wasnt deserved.

Some people even got a belt, didnt wear it at their own club and were promoted the same week any way.

I who JSho is, i even train with him.

If any one feels the need to question royces methods or even Jiu Jitsu email me on andyrobertsbjj@hotmail.com and i'll happily pass on a message.

please copy and paste this response if you feel the need.

andy

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 11th March 2005 at 17:22

Good post though Andy.

Another question for you, has Royce ever given a black belt?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 13th March 2005 at 09:55

10. the guys he promoted had all been training with him for over 10 years.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 15th March 2005 at 18:19

Thanks for the reply Andy. An excellent post by the way tooo.:-D

Are you a purple yet? Surely deserved by now right!?!

Two more questions i hope you wont mind answering:-

1) How many techniques on average do you teach in an hour long class, excluding drills?

2) Does all the Seni Gracie comp paperwork go to you? I know i will get bitched but i fancy having a go and seeing just how crap i am. You cant beat a possitive attitude eh!;-):-D

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 16th March 2005 at 15:39

Seni paperwork to me!!

2 or 3 techs per hour

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 16th March 2005 at 16:27

Quality post Andrew- I totally agree.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again- just enter any fecking comp you can. All of you. Really. Even if you get your bottom kicked, it's a good experience.

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 17th March 2005 at 08:58

Id love to but there is a distinct lack of Gi Based BJJ training in liverpool!!!!! And i think my traditional arse would get severly hurt!

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 17th March 2005 at 10:14

So there is some no-gi grappling available? And I guess you know your grips/gi work and a few techniques/throws/takedowns from traditional. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 17th March 2005 at 10:38

Yeah we have Next Gen. Wolfsfair down the road etc.. Im injured at the moment but plan to hit next gen in the next few weeks.

I know where your going with it;-) My plan is to do som "giless" grapplin and then try and get to Bolton once / twice a week for the Gi work? Does that sound like id be alright in the gi then?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 18th March 2005 at 18:11

go to wolfslair instead of nextgen

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 19th March 2005 at 10:43

Yeah go to wolfslair instead sl. Sounds like top instruction in BJJ and has a good gym / training facilities.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 21st March 2005 at 08:58

I agree wolfsfair looks impressive ive been down and visited it but i cant fit it in with work there bjj classes start about 6ish im just finishing work by then...

Anyone trained at Next Gen / Woldsfair?