Back to forum

opening cuts

Author Comments

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Saturday 26th March 2005 at 00:38

My goal is to learn how to open up cuts on an opponent using a pair of gloves because cuts above the eyes will often end a no holds barred match due to referee stoppage. Even a small one in the right place will cause blood to seep down ending the match. Technically, there is a rule saying that you cannot irritate a cut with a finger, but there's nothing that says you can't open up a cut with a glove even if it is intentional. And besides if it is intentional there's no way someone could tell if it wasn't just a grazing shot. This is a smart tactic, maybe not the most honorable one, but still smart and I intend to get good at using it as a method to methodically work from the top if it's possible to make it not based strictly on chance.
Any experiences with getting accidently cut in sparring or competition? If so how exactly did it occur? My picture is that one would have to hit at an angle somehow cause the punch to slip off as they follow into it. I would imagine a dead shot would leave a bruse, but not a cut. It should be possible to strike downward with hammer blows and then slip across as it lands. This would be a kind of circular action. If this sort of strike can open cuts then there's no need to generate all the power needed to knock them out from the top positions. Just get a few inches of distance, drop, run through it. This is all theory to me right now though, but would it work in competition?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 29th March 2005 at 10:04

There you again with mad ideas of circular punches and twisting hammers...... Just punch them, elbow them, knee them a cut will follow.........:-D

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Tuesday 29th March 2005 at 11:30

I find a dragon punch works quite well as a weakner followed by a quick 'B0ll0cks chop' to just above the right eye should do the job of opening up an initial cut.

To further open this cut to a gash try landing a 'Bul$4it flick' with the left inside cuff-edge of your left outside-hand glove. This is guaranteed to exacerbate the situation at the very least, and may even end the fight right there..... :-P

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 29th March 2005 at 13:47

Another thought on this surely if you just knocked them out , tapped them you wouldnt need to go picking scabs off peoples eyes thus making them bleed and impairing there vision, also messy to clean up i might add?:-O

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 3rd April 2005 at 07:24

Actually, I was wrong. It takes a dead hit to really cause any kind of damage like that although once a cut is opened by a good accurate hit even small shots will keep it bleeding. The size of a cut above the eye doesn't even have to be that great to cause a lot of bloodloss because the heart is pumping so much blood to keep the fighter going, but it'll rarely occur with grazing blows. (sometimes by accidently butting heads)
This is interesting cause I've been watching fights that are stopped in this matter and observing exactly what happened to cause all the bleeding. It was all about landing flush and following through really well. This is how Cabbage got the best of Tank Abbott for example. He clinched him and threw knees the head. When they landed it tore the flesh apart. (there's many examples like this from the ground as well) It's not a slicing sort of thing like I thought.
It would be nice though if I had a trainer though who would help me with the ground and pound because I'm more of a ground and pound stylist. Only problem is my jujitsu friend is too chicken to work head shots in (but often gets dealt countless hard hits to the body before finally landing his hooks) and my trainer switched between kickboxing and catch wrestling when he helped me train, but he doesn't fight anymore. It's hard to know how to damage the head since I've never struck this area from the ground before. I have a feel for the control which is most important regardless.
There's a guy in town I know though that probably won't mess around with me if I work with him because he owns his own boxing gym now and just played with me a round when he came over to visit the neighboring gym. He's a very powerful guy. If that works out I probably start knowing these things rather then just be in speculation about exactly how to cause good damage.

So you're right, trying anything except trying to land as flush as possible is a bad idea. Keep in mind though that on top you can't be too greedy with how far you go back to swing or else you'll get countered. An experienced grappler will be conservative so they can maintain position. Sometimes it's better to diligently keep cuts bleeding if they exist since it will result in a TKO if any blood is dripping in the eyes.

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 3rd April 2005 at 07:29

Btw, I really need to stop posting in such passive voice cause it makes me sound like I have no freakin clue everytime. Ya know, like "should work" "might work" "I think maybe" "I would imagine". Can't really blame you guys for calling me a joke when I do that.

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 3rd April 2005 at 07:32

And I'm not claiming to be better then anyone just because I'm trying to learn to counter the style rather then learn it.

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Monday 4th April 2005 at 09:05

You having a good conversation with yourself there mofo? :-))

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 4th April 2005 at 09:16

Ha ha he'll be punching himself next....

Like i said mofo dont worry about working the cut youll get to caufht up in it.

Its not something you can spar or practice..