Back to forum

ju jitsu

Author Comments

RYKER

6 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 15:34

Hi i have 3 sons aged between 8-14 that do Shotokan karate.they have been studing for 2 years.Would it be more benificial to join them in ju jitsu (no bjj for miles).:-|

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 16:19

You really need to make your picture smaller no. 1 ....!

(rob yells at people that dont make their pictures conform) :-o

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

RYKER

6 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 16:22

cheers how do i change it now it is in:-O

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 16:32

near the top of the forum page you should see a link to login (provided you have cookies enabled on your pc).

Once youve logged in you should see a link to edit your profile in the same place (near the top of the initial forum page)

Follow the link, and hey presto...!! good luck!!

Incidentally in answer to your question, I think it'd be a great move, tjj or even judo would be a great thing to get em into from an early age. From experience, some lads that have been doing tjj from an early age at my club are frighteningly good!

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

RYKER

6 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 16:47

keeps coming up not logged in :-X

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 17:48

Pic sorted - obviously. :-)

The Admin Guy

alski

Regular

73 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 19:51

is shotokan karate any good? ive heard people slate for 'not being practical' anyone know?

RYKER

6 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 00:41

I have done shotokan karate on and off for years,I have often felt it is great for fitness and maybe even a introductory to different martial art styles(has i am now learning).But it will all depend on what you want from martial arts?.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 08:19

No no no no no no no karate in the forum :-D

alski

Regular

73 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 11:47

sorry si i'm new to all this, is karate a taboo subject? :-O

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 12:31

No not really just taking the piss.. Not a karate fan but this is a free speech forum so i can't really stop anyone talking about anything just dont like it.:-D

alski

Regular

73 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 12:48

:-)) thought you were serious! The sensei of a local karate club started jj at our club a while back he only lasted a few lessons,i'm not sure he quite liked getting his arse kicked by some of the white belts!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 13:51

Yeah i know a couple of Karate Black belts wouldn't wipe my chimps arse on one... :-p

Its mad though there was a kid in the paper last year who got his black belt at like 7..... wtf is that all about.

alski

Regular

73 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 14:05

:-)) That lad must have started training in his nappies! he must have skipped his potty training and gone straight into karate either that or his folks paid off his insructor! The karate boys ive come across so far dont seem to have the right attitude three have been through the club in about six months:-))

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Saturday 9th April 2005 at 16:28

Under a lot of adult syllabuses (syllabi?) you can get karate black belts in 3 years (3.5 TKD), so maybe a junior black belt is the same. A few organisations have a junior syllabus which converts at adult level.

Mind you, I once trained for a couple of weeks with an aikido instructor who point-blank refused to grade ten year olds to black belt as he felt it was too much of a responsibility.

See how well I block all your

alski

Regular

73 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 13:53

si has a point,its a bit mad how a 7 year old managed to get to black at that age:-)

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 15:21

well as you know lol i just started yesterday and the coach/sensi said if i worked really hard i should make black bet when im nineteen thats in 6 years. And 6 years isnt really that long to perfect a sport to the best of your abbillity so maybe they should think about changing the grading from 6 months to a year (the caoch said there is gradings every 6 months.

Yours Tom Kenny

alski

Regular

73 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 15:36

6-7 years to black sounds about right,thats according to the lads at the club i go to.It doesnt end at black though r kid,theirs dan gradings after that.I dont much about them though i'm only a beginner!:-)

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 17:59

Tom, a Black belt really just means you have a reached a particular level where you can really start to learn the details of a system. It doesn't necessarily mean you are the best. After Black belt comes higher levels of Black Belt and these can take years to get. In TKD it took 3.5 years of regular grading (if you passed) to get Black and then you had to wait at least 2 years for your 2nd degree. My trainers were all at least 4th dan so had been training at least 10 years, pretty solidly.

See how well I block all your

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 20:47

ahh ok i get ya, ive done some research and appently there are japanese people who jujitsu is there life and they have reached 46 dan or something, i ont know if this makes any sense to ya, but just thuht i would post it. :p

Yours Tom Kenny