Back to forum

Mixing TJJ

Author Comments

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 22:36

Any suggestions.I do Tjj twice a week and the only other ma,s in my area is judo,karate and kickboxing.I would like to combine another ma to build up my fitness

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 09:03

How about Judo.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 10:21

If you want to do two out of all those, I'd probably dump the TJJ and go for judo and kickboxing.

DEFEATED IN AL

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 10:59

kieron does tjj twice a week and still challenged me to a fight. lol.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 11:13

:-D

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Saturday 9th April 2005 at 17:57

Sorry guys theres no way I could give up TJJ as i,m grading for my second dan before the summer.I may concider the kickboxing again as i,m going to check it out this week.

And i,ve already got brown belt in karate but find it to uniformed.

Andy some where along the line we shall meet for a friendly competion.I glad your confident and this will expose your weakness;-)

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 9th April 2005 at 23:49

you sound like the confident one to me :-p

look, i seriously doubt we will ever meet for any type of competition, but just to let you know, i hae you beat in the TJJ department, been there done it, taught it, ridiculed it, love it :-O and on the competing experience side of it, unless you hold some karate medals/trophies.

but in all seriousness, its all banter

Kieran

Regular

107 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 11:06

Just messing Andy:-p

TheRedeemer

1 posts

Saturday 20th May 2006 at 23:13

I would reccomend Wing Chun, if there is a club near you.

I am currently studying Wado-Ryu Karate + Wing Chun, and I am going to start Ju Jitsu classes soon.

Your Ju Jitsu Training, from what I have seen, will come in handy when you get onto the locks, throws incorporated in Wing Chun.

Growing Old Is Mandatory.
Gro

sl

Resident

855 posts

Sunday 21st May 2006 at 00:54

SO WING CHUN BEATS BJJJ KISSS IT BJJJ WILL FUCK YOU UP .:-p

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 23rd May 2006 at 19:22

i would not recommend wing chun

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 24th May 2006 at 08:46

wing chun always gives me an upset stomach:-|

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 27th May 2006 at 15:35

I studied Wado Ryu under Jon Wicks.
I can't believe people still practice karate and kung fu. It's like the mixed martial arts revolution never happened. What a waste of people's time and efforts. It's been twenty years since mixed martial arts was brought to the mainstream audience, and grapplers easily dominated.

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Sunday 28th May 2006 at 21:05

True, its not something you'd wanna use in MMA but not everybody takes up MA for self defence or MMA ;-)

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Monday 29th May 2006 at 03:50

Ok, about the statement that somebody cant believe ppl still study karate or kung fu...MMA is a truly well rounded sport or concept...but it is still trained for, and used as a SPORT. Rules and regulations which can be taked advantage of on the street, but not trained for in teh MMA gym. And while some styles of traditional MA are crap...if one trains in Krav Maga, or a survivalist style of kung fu (i.e. Fu Jow Pai) etc... then they can be a still very effective streetfighter, ready to use and defend "dirty" techniques. How you train is how you fight. Helio Gracie said himself that Gracie JJ is the self defense style he made and his sons know...Brazilian JJ is merely the sport that everybody else does.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Tuesday 30th May 2006 at 22:10

So how many MMA fighters use kung fu as part of their training ? :-))

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 03:34

True... and im not trying to deny the fact that an MMA fighter can knock out or submit someone on the street...but you have to remember that the better styles of kung fu (wing chun, hung gar, fu jow) PRIMARILY target areas like the eyes throat and groin...all the things an mma guy isnt prepared to defend...so it can still be effective if used correctly

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 11:07

There are actually a few MMA fighters that train Kung Fu along with their other training.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 12:20

think im going to learn kung fu now ... or maybe wing chun....

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 13:44

My mistake, it was actually wing chun some MMA fighters 'mix in'.

The Admin Guy