Back to forum

Is It Worth it?

Author Comments

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Wednesday 6th April 2005 at 22:24

I am 13 and have been intrested in Ju-Jitsu for a good while. I have found a nearby club were my friend goes. You think it is that simple? i dont have alot of money and it is expensive to join, my dad is against all forms of physical contact as he was serioudly hurt during a boxing match, i was just wondering is Ju-Jitsu really worth the hassle that may be caused?

Yours Tom Kenny

alski

Regular

73 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 11:55

If you can,go for it mate! your at a good age to start.I'm 26 and ive been training on and off for about a year,i regret not starting at a younger age.Hopefully you can talk your dad round.good luck!:-)

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Thursday 7th April 2005 at 21:24

ok i will go for it :p

Yours Tom Kenny

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 10:20

Too easily convinced there- don't bow to peer pressure son.

But if you can find a good BJJ school, go for it....or I'll beat you up after school.

DEFEATED IN AL

alski

Regular

73 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 12:13

Tom dont let him take your pocket money!:-D

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 20:36

lol the only one nearby is an tradional ju-jitsu class it starts tommorrow and ive got the money do i am going to try it, i havent told my dad yet i will just go anyway and when i went to ask about it today they said i can have two weeks before haveing to pay my membership just to see if i like it. So i will tell you all how it goes tommorrow night lol and if you come to my school i have 4 big brothers so :p just try it

Yours Tom Kenny

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 21:32

Good luck pal, let us know how it goes either way.

As much info as possible, tell us the name and place. Did they make you feel welcome, or try too much to impress you with the black belt stuff?

The Admin Guy

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 22:00

ok yeh i will let you know how it goes:-)

Yours Tom Kenny

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 8th April 2005 at 22:31

Most people give you 2 weeks trial, not that it's a bad thing, it's a bloody good thing if anything - but maybe stay behind and see what the other classes are like.

Ya never know, they may know you're there, and trying too hard to make you sign up.

What are the monthly fee's, how long would you be 'contracted' for? ie, having to give 3 months notice?

It's not really anything to worry about, and it sounds like a properly organised club - giving the 2 weeks trials (without having to sign up).

if ya want some extra advice as to how clubs 'might' work, email me [email=rob@ultimatejujitsu.com]here[/email].

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Saturday 9th April 2005 at 16:14

Do tell your dad, mate. The thing is that as you are under 18 the club should have a form signed by your parent for insurance purposes etc. If it doesn't that might not be a good sign. Maybe chat with the sensei and ask your dad to come down and talk with him and see how a class works. It'll be better than having to tell him later and make him feel you deceived him.

A lot of people don't realise it is possible to do martial arts safely and have prejudice against them. I failed to get a voluntary social work job because the social workers (supposedly educated people) were worried cos I did martial arts. In fact, the reason I started in JJ was cos my wife threw a fit when I said I wanted to start Muay thai (despite having done TKD for over 10 years... or maybe that was why!)

Good Luck

See how well I block all your

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Saturday 9th April 2005 at 21:57

it went really well, and i dint need a parent to sign the form as i am over 13. I am a genrally confident person so i fitted in quite well, the sensa (sorry about the spelling) guy was great and he helped me to fit in, lookilly tere was someone else new starting so we were both init together and when we got to the throwing part i was bigger than him so it made me look a bit better.

At the end he called me over for a word and asked me if i wanted to stay a bit longer after because it was an hour till his next session. When i stayed he said he say talent so i was rather plesed with myself, but when he started showing me part of this dance type thing(sorry i forgot the name i will get it for you next time) i screwed the whole ting up and i still havent got the hang of it lol i will keep trying :p i wouldnt mind he oly showed me the first 9 steps.

Well on a whole it went well and he said i dont have to buy the membership for 5 more weeks just incase i decide i dont like it.

Yours Tom Kenny

alski

Regular

73 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 13:47

Its worth telling your dad,he wont like you going behind his back! Fair play to yer for checking it out,sounds like you enjoyed it?

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 15:03

Yeh i enoyed it and im going again next week. I have been thinking and maybe if i wait a bit untill my dad, maybe just untill i get better so then he can see that i have dedicated myself to something then he might forgive me for going behind his back, but if i tell him now he will just stop me going.

Yours Tom Kenny

alski

Regular

73 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 15:38

Sounds a bit risky,be careful your plan doesnt back fire on you,he mite stop you from going altogether! Glad you enjoyed it though:-)

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 20:43

yeh it was good, ust one question do you have like a time every month were everyone sits around the mat and the sensi calls people up to spa with each other???

Yours Tom Kenny

alski

Regular

73 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 14:20

Not in our club,we spar most sessions.everyone else just carries on training,we rotate i.e. spar for a bit,drill techniques for a bit,throw for a bit that sort of thing.From what i know(which isnt a lot!) every club is different.Whens your next session?:-D

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 18:38

Saturday, its not that often, but i do quite alot of other sports, maybe when i get a bit better i will start going to more of the training sessions :D

Yours Tom Kenny

alski

Regular

73 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 18:51

The more you train the better you'll get,if you can find time to train more its worth doing.:-D

joe

7 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 19:33

WELL TO BE TALENTED AT YOUR AGE IS SOMETHING. ARE YOU SURE YOUR SENSAI DIDNT SAY THAT TO MAKE YOU FEEL WELCOME.THAT DANCE IS CALLED THE KATA.THAT WAS QUICK LEARNING THE FIRST 9 STEPS. I LIKE THE LOOK OF YOU. ARE YOUR 4 BROTHERS AS GOOD LOOKING AS YOU?SO WILL YOU BE TAKING YOUR BLACK BELT NEXT YEAR?
YOURS,
LARA
P.S U LOOK LIKE JOHN CLAUDE VAN DAME

tomkenny

Regular

21 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 21:02

lol no not next year i just started :p and no none of my brothers look anyting like me lol.

Yours Tom Kenny