Back to forum

Accompanient to Jujitsu

Author Comments

Samurai Tedrik

5 posts

Tuesday 19th April 2005 at 15:31

Hi all

I'm currently studying TJJ and enjoying it very much! BUT, I used to study karate and i don't think that jujitsu (whether it's my class or jujitsu in general) covers enough striking/kicking.

I don't know whether to start up karate again alongside this or try out Wing Chun, i've been looking into it and Wing chun looks interesting with the hand conditioning and wooden dummy training...

I know it's mixing japanese and chinese arts but who cares. They all have their benefits. What do you guys think?

Yours in Budo

alski

Regular

73 posts

Tuesday 19th April 2005 at 16:07

have you thought about Thai or kickboxing?

Samurai Tedrik

5 posts

Tuesday 19th April 2005 at 16:26

Hey,

Yeah i thought about Muay Thai. But i'm not really a big guy and i'm not into pumelling eachothers brains out. I like technical actions and movements.

Yours in Budo

alski

Regular

73 posts

Tuesday 19th April 2005 at 17:02

crazy fool i aint gettin on no plane!
I'm not a big fella either,the lads on this forum seem to prefer thai/kickboxing.I'm gonna start hopfully in a couple of weeks.Got my first session of tjj tomorow nite after a break of three months :-D

Samurai Tedrik

5 posts

Tuesday 19th April 2005 at 17:21

You're going to start Muay Thai? I really don't think i could handle it. I'd get too mad when i get hit and bang a wristlock on them!

LOL

Yours in Budo

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 20th April 2005 at 02:06

Firstly welcome to the site, always good to see new people posting instead of just viewing. :-)

As for your comments about TJJ, yeah there's not as much striking as in, say Karate, but when you're in a 'situation' you don't have time for the pretty kata's. Atleast TJJ is aimed more at practical self-defence.

I'm sure you've had Karate instructors telling you what works 'on the street', but until you've actually been there, it's their word against no-body elses, unfortunately.

Give Thai Boxing a go, what do you have to lose? And it's not all crazy meat-heads! Probably a good idea to try your wrist locks too - no disrespect, but you'd struggle to get any kind of lock on against even a beginner at Muay Thai.

In my view, just try it, see what you learn.

The Admin Guy

Samurai Tedrik

5 posts

Wednesday 20th April 2005 at 09:20

Cheers for the advice dude. I think they do Muay Thai at my Dojo. it's like a martial arts centre with a few things on different nights. Even Wuzuquan in another room!

I'll give them a bell tonight and see what night and how much it is.

Is Muay Thai really as good as everyone says? I mean, to me it just looks kinda messy. What sort of conditioning do they do to make the kicks and punches so devastating?

I'm sure it's fantastic, but can anyone tell me why? Like first hand experiences?

Yours in Budo

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 25th April 2005 at 09:17

Muay Thai is the best.... you will certainly struggle to get a wrist lock on i think itll be met with an elbow.....

Teh conditioning is similar to boxing training but with alot of leg work obviously..