729 posts

Sunday 24th April 2005 at 18:00

[link=http://www.andy-roberts.co.uk/results.htm]RESULTS[/link]

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Monday 25th April 2005 at 10:18

Andy, am I right in thinking that gripping the sleeves or trousers with fingers inside is a foul?

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 25th April 2005 at 15:21

Believe you got Gold Andy congrats....

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 25th April 2005 at 17:19

yes and thankyou

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 00:24

So...

[image=http://intelcompute.com/~ujj/grab1.jpg]

and...

[image=http://intelcompute.com/~ujj/grab2.jpg]

...should have been stopped by the ref, he definately saw the first one, and doesn't seem to be in a bad position to see the 2nd one. :-|

The Admin Guy

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 00:25

Oh yeah, more pics coming probably tomorrow. :-)

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 09:24

2 different refs

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 09:55

I'm not really complaining- I shouldn't have let myself get underneath in the first place, and should have figured a way out of it (though it was hard with my near leg being almost useless), but to be in the same position for five minutes and lose 3 (side) - 2 (takedown) when he was basically cheating is a bit disappointing.

Anyway, didn't realise you won gold Andy, well done. They given you your purple yet?

DEFEATED IN AL

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 12:08

the only reason that grip is illegal is to protect the fighter with the grip, if his fingers are inside the gi trousers they could get tangled and broken. It really doesn't affect the position or strength of the grip.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 13:42

Bass i take it you were in adult heavy blue?

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 14:08

Surely if 2 ref's missed it, or let it carry on it's worse?

I know it's not really a major breakage of the rules, and if he had a different grip he would still have won probably, but still.

Plus, surely it is a tighter grip for your opponent to pull out of, seeing as you're actually 'hooked' onto him? That's what I always thought anyway.

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 16:02

it is not a major foul, the grip strength difference is negligible i prefer not hooking inside, mistakes happen and if you want to take it up with the ref i'll kindly pass on his number

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 16:12

Oh i forgot to say, did any of you see a guy in a blue gi biting a guys hand to prevent chokes being applied?

I thought the guy who had his hands chewed did well to keep his cool as i would have flipped my lid and chewed his nose or poked his eyes to see how he likes foul play!:-))

Cant remember who it was who did it! Some guys will do anything to win which is very sad.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Tuesday 26th April 2005 at 19:27

Didn't see that.

As for my fight, as I said- I'm not complaining. It was up to me to get out of it, but I was too out of shape and generally rubbish to do much at all. Anyway, the grip wasn't the main thing, it was the stalling. But fair play to the bloke, he used the rules (and my abysmal form) to his advantage and won. He even apologised afterwards...

Anyway, I'll hopefully be fitter and have had a proper run of training before the next comp. Is that Sheffield thing happening anytime soon?

DEFEATED IN AL