Back to forum

Ultimate Fighting on Bravo

Author Comments

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 20:07

I dont know rob didnt you see the olympics? Those TKD folks are hard as nails!:-));-):-p

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 21:17

hehehe, good point, didn't think of that, i was too busy watching the Judo! :-p

The Admin Guy

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 11:23

Hey, what's fish-hooking?

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 12:54

Finger in their mouth to turn the head to the side.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 13:03

In competition if fingers arent allowed isnide the gi what about collar chokes???

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 13:07

ha ha... that's evil!.. I like it... I like it a lot!

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 13:47

Its not so evil when the guy who's mouth you have your finger/fingers in decides to chew on them. KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM PEOPLES MOUTHS! One day you might decide to take up piano lessons and will cry when you can't hit that special note.;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 14:12

Sl, i think you read wrong, you're not allowed fingers in the mouth!

The Admin Guy

thump

Regular

29 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 16:14

Cheers dave i,m now opening a new club teaching the following techniques, BITING,EYE GOUGING,GROIN SHOTS,FISH HOOKS,the fine art of KICKING(WITH BOOTS ON)HEAD STOMPING AND HEAD BOUNCING.Just think all these years spent studing what works and what doesn't and all we had to do was the above.Next time a gang a lads approach me i'll just say hey watch it i'll fish hook you(has a nice ring to it has well)or want your eye gouging out.In all the street fights i've seen i can't recall seeing someone having there eye gouged out.Anyway the point is i think dave you don't make much sense(no offence).Of course studing martial arts give you a advantage in fighting especial bjj.I have a few lads at work and they all put gloves on (one at a time)and i abuse them(just to get the adrelain going) they attack me with 50% force,none of them can stop the clinch and some of them are big lads.Now i have only being doing bjj 4 weeks and 2 lads from work have joined.The moral is the right martial art works it's proven.Gang of lads RUN or head stomp :-)):-)):-)):-)):-))

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 17:34

Yeah i know what you mean Robsco i was on about an earlier thread should prob have posted there.... I mean in BJJ comp you cant have fingers inside the Gi, what about if your applying a collar choke dont you then have to have your fingers inside your opponents Gi?? Does that mean there not allowed in competition?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 17:40

Thump... i think Dave was just getting across it doesnt matter how good you are what your MA is if you get into trouble... and not against multiple attackers ... and i still have the opinion if you start BJJin in a street fight then i do beleive there friends will riverdance all over your gaurd.... Then again like i said most of the people who will pick a fight with you will be pissed up nobheads anyway but then a gang of pissed up nobheads is always trouble...

Just start a running club thump.......... failing that a gun club... failing that your own army??

And agreeing with Robsco / Andy on proveing yourself i dont see the point in picking fights with people id much rather take a beating in the ring or on the mat than get my head kicked up and down the street.... Im far to good lookin..

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 17:49

Sometimes i dont understand myself, so dont worry.:-))

Guys, i try to tell it like it is both from personal experiences and from waching many other fights. If you think what i say is incorrect then great, we all have our own opinions and this is a forum afterall.

Thump, ive trained BJJ, TJJ, Combat JJ, Judo and Muay Thai so i have a good idea of what works and what doesnt. I know my stuff you know your stuff. If you think BJJ is the answer to street fighting then good luck, i wouldnt want to be in your shoes.

What works in a dojo in a relaxed environment doesnt have the same effect in a real street scrap and what happens in a street scrap never goes on in a dojo (excecpt from a small % of positions and strikes).

BITING,EYE GOUGING,HEAD BUTS,GROIN SHOTS,FISH HOOKS,the fine art of KICKING(WITH BOOTS ON)HEAD STOMPING AND BOUNCING THE HEAD OFF OBJECTS/SURFACES.
Hmm, I wonder why all these techniques are banned from dojo's. It must be because they arent effective.

Some questions for you thump:

If you are surrounded by a bunch of lads and you cant run away are you gonna use BJJ?

If a bigger stronger more skilled guy wants to mess you up or worse, what would you do(you cant run and have no weapons at hand)?

What would you do if a guy started to bite your fingers, nose, face or strarted to gouge your eyes? Are you gonna tell him to stop and play by the rules?

Why are we all taught as children while growing up that biting etc is naughty and bad, and your not allowed to do it?

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 17:56

Also i igree with you all that you shouldnt go down street and pick fights just to prove yourself. I said in an earlier post that if you want to prove yourself take up a sport/martial art/combat sport.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 20:55

Sl, the fingers inside the gi bit, it's where you go for a grab on your opponents sleeve or trousers, but place your fingers inside the sleeve or inside the trouser leg.

Grabbing the collar with fingers inside is fine.

The only reason it's not allowed in sleeves and trousers is that the guy can pull away and wrench your little pinkies off.

The Admin Guy

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 21:02

Dave, first question, cos this one always confuses me, what's the difference between TJJ and Combat Ju-Jitsu? What's missing in one but found in another?

"What would you do if a guy started to bite your fingers, nose, face or strarted to gouge your eyes? Are you gonna tell him to stop and play by the rules?"

Nope, smash his f*cking face in!!! But hey, I wouldn't put my fingers anywhere near his mouth, have you forgotten? Fish-hooking isn't allowed! :-p

Anyway, this all came about to do with MMA, and let's face it, who's gonna win between even a BJJ player and an MMA fighter? Since the MMA fighter has BJJ experience (of varying levels) but can also smash your face in with their Thai boxing skills, I'd go for the MMA fighter.

Dave, if you wanna go around biting people and poking them in the eye, go ahead, I'd just rather open a can of whoop-ass on their head. Sorry Dave, but do you really think you could poke Chuck Liddell in the eye before he turned your head to mush??? Just cos' he's not in the cage doesn't mean he forgets how to fight.

Hell, what about tickling? It would be effective! :-))

How about pinching their chest hair, twisting the ears, or maybe an Indian burn on the wrist! What a killer they were at school! :-D

The Admin Guy

thump

Regular

29 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 00:20

Sorry for staying on this point but i felt a need to answer dave questions,IF I WAS SURROUND WOULD I USE BJJ?the answer is no i wouldn't use anything,coz i am in for a kicking,coz i am surrounded.Next one MORE SKILLED AND STRONGER GUY (and i can't get away,and have no weapons?Nothing much coz i would get a kicking.NEXT question,WHAT WOULD I DO IF A GUY BIT MY NOSE OR FOSE OR FINGERS?Probally scream ouch.So basically you proved a worthy point. DAVE WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THESE SITUATIONS?What is it i'm missing that would make me come up trumps when i am surrounded by lads and can't get away or fighting with a more skilled and stronger guy with no weapon?.BUT YOU HAVE MADE A VALID POINT AND IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE A STREET FIGHTER FIGHT A MMA FIGHTER.HERE WE GO ROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH.;-).

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 12:35

Jesus this could go on for ever!:-))

Guys first off have you ever been chewed in a fight, had your eyes gouged or any of the other stuff i mentioned?

Have you ever seen any of the things mentioned happen up close and in yer face i.e. not from accross the street?

Are you talking from experience or from what people have told you or from what you've learned from a book or seminar?

Are you the sheep following the shepherd or do you make your own choices gained from experience?

Thump's self defence: Give up when surrounded and take a kicking:-O. If fighting a bigger more skilled guy simply give up and take a beating:-O You have a sports mentality thump:-| Alot of people dont give up hurting you until you stop them or they kill you. GOOD LUCK with your methods:-l.

Reality isnt sports and and there are no rules or gentlemanly conduct.

I think you've missed the point or maybe i didnt make it very clear. Training in MMA does give you skills that obviously work in the street but relying purely on MMA for the street is stupid. MMA is purely a sport with loads of rules and safety boundaries. What goes on in the street doesnt go on in the cage!!!!

All the extra things i mentioned(& many more) do happen and if you think thats untrue then fine i'm simply saying make sure you dont neglect the 'real stuff'.

Rob: As far as i remeber from what i did, TJJ swung alot of sticks and crappy weapons around, and Combat JJ didnt. Thats just my take im sure you will have yours.;-):-p

What would i do: Pick out what works from different arts and tailor it to your needs. Train the so called 'dirty stuff' also.
Ideal: Dirty stuff and strikes primary - grappling and bull$H1T secondary back up.

Thump: Firstly if surrounded i'd try groin shots & throat shots(because if i aim for the throat chances are i probs hit the chin, you hardly ever hit what you aim for in the street so a throat or chin shot would be ideal). Perhaps eye strikes & open palm strikes also. Everything you throw has to be as hard as you can throw it. Knee strikes and head buts may also be administered on cue:-)). Obvoiusly your aiming to knock out straight away or create space to run like carl lewis. If you get put on the floor you must get up straight away, grappling is a big NO NO (if you have no choice use dirty stuff and basic grappling skills)! Upright grappling is also a no no if you can avoid it, but if not, use headbuts groin shots face biting eye gouging or whatever just to get the guy off and if possible, run! I didnt say and never will say i have the answer to wipe a gang of people out apart from if you have a gun. Survival and escape only!

Bigger more skilled guy: Your only gonna know he is more skilled after seconds of scrapping(if it lasts that long). Then you must use whatever skill you have to the best of your ability and apply so called dirty stuff. Its probably your ownly hope if you dont have any weapons. Of course if you throw $H1t loads of srikes you might be very lucky, or be very unlucky.

It will take you all till next friday to read this so im of on holiday. Enjoy picking it apart! :-p:-))

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 12:54

Sorry, but if I was grappling with someone and they put their hand or arm over my mouth it would be munchies time. Probably if I grabbed someones face a figer would stray into their eye.

I've known people do it.

I have been bitten, but it was for being stupid enough to put my finger in an epileptic mouth.

See how well I block all your

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 18:36

you can't bite whilst unconcious and you stop biting to scream in pain when you have a limb snapped!

for 1 on 1 use bjj

for multiple attckers.....run

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Saturday 7th May 2005 at 08:04

Admittedly not being that well versed in BJJ or MMA I have to ask which techniques you can use when you are unconscious?:-p

See how well I block all your