Back to forum

popping my cherry!

Author Comments

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 13th May 2005 at 17:37

First BJJ class was tonight. Turned out it was no gi night. Pretty cool, had no real problem (apart from the fact I couldn't understand a word cos my Polish is crap!). Just like wrestling.

Definitely going back.

See how well I block all your

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 18th May 2005 at 17:01

Whats Polish for TAP? ;-)

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Thursday 19th May 2005 at 08:05

Oh God, i hadn't thought about that. Where's the dictionary!?:-O

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 19th May 2005 at 10:22

You may also need the following

"ow that hurts...."
"Please stop squeazing my neck"

and so forth......:-p

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Thursday 19th May 2005 at 13:36

owa, boli bardzo! nie rob tak! (roughly, it hurts a lot, don't do that).

Also started doing a bit of chen tai chi chaun. My legs were in tremor after five minutes (and I had 1.5 hours to go!)

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 19th May 2005 at 15:19

chen tai chi chaun?????????????

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Thursday 19th May 2005 at 22:30

Yeah, at one point the only clubs which suited my work hours were a capoerra club or a Taoist tai chi club (non-combat, exercise). I have a recurring back problem, so I dropped the capoerra and took up the tai chi for a few months (until work got in the way again). Found it useful for keeping supple and I could do it almost anywhere. Then I found the jujitsu club (which eventually folded). When I finally found time to look around for individual classes I looked up a Doce Pares guy and a Kung Fu/Tai Chi guy and then found the BJJ club on fridays. I decided to try 'em all and hedge my bets. Doce Pares is only free on friday evenings and saturdays (not good for me) and the TC guy is more available. He also does White Crane Kung Fu, so knows a bit about combat styles, rather than just New Age exercise. He teaches Yang style TC in his club but asked if I wanted to learn Chen in the individual. I thought I'd give it a try for a couple of months leading upto summer. Bloody knackering!

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 20th May 2005 at 09:32

Shen style Tai chi chuan is good....the traditional internal exercise methods / practices are very similar to the stuff now being coached by top sports physios, to develop improvements in core stability, which in turn by strengthening pelvic / waistline muscles & ligaments (and evening up the ballance distributed between these muscle groups) helps prevent injury during more physical training e.g. BJJ practice

"Its not the size of the dog i

Drunken Master

19 posts

Friday 20th May 2005 at 17:00

hey trevek2...i have read alot of posts and you come up quite
alot.....you seem to have a wide experience of everything on
offer and done all sorts of MA.. i was wondering why dont you
start your own club and keep it open after 8 30? you'd probably have alot to offer ppl with the different styles you have dun???

------------------------------

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 20th May 2005 at 20:05

The man's got a point!

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 20th May 2005 at 20:27

Hi DM, well to be honest, I've dabbled in a few things, like Backhold wrestling, JKD (only a few months), Judo and Capoerra but mainly I did TKD for over ten years. Due to a lot of association politics and my own moving around it took me over 8 years to actually get my Black Belt (I was black tag for about four years). However, I did have the good fortune to train with a few different clubs in Europe and I've never shied away from meeting new people and having a go (if only to say i've tried it and not liked it). Main problem recently is that I dropped out of training for a while, not least because of a recurring back problem. It proved rather hard to motivate myself to get back in shape again and work hours don't help.

I did consider starting a club here for kids in the village where we are moving to. However, the regulations for running a club here in Poland are quite tough and you need a government approved sports trainers licence. My Polish isn't upto the job at the moment. The other thing is that here in town there are a lot of MA clubs and the local ITF had about 4 legit TKD world champs. The other club is run by the Polish Olympic Sports Psychologist. Well outta my league. Premises are also a problem. Thanks for the suggestion tho'.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 20th May 2005 at 20:52

Hear what ya saying, prob best in small towns/villages, just somewhere to train with a few mates hopefully, maybe nothing official - but then it is a case of finding 4-5+ people who wanna do it, atleast it keeps you on the mats.

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 20th May 2005 at 22:01

The main problem is that my circle of friends here isn't that wide where MA are concerned. Most of the circle I mix with (work and people I know through my theatre work or my wife's social circle)have little or no experience of MA. Several of them find it rather suspect.

There was a guy at the school where I worked who was in a similar situation to me and we talked of doing some stuff together but then he had to return to canada. A lot of the trouble is the different social clock here. Most folk finish work around 3-4 and so clubs start as early as 15.30 and finish around 20.00 20.30.

I work 15.30 to 20.30 (as well as daytime stuff, sometimes 12 hour days).

I think the situation is clearing abit now due to my work hours. Also, I got a bit too het up in the idea of studying one style. Now I'm starting to find little pockets and if I can't train in one style two or three times a week, I'll train in two styles once a week each. hence the tai chi and the gi-less BJJ. I think I was getting a bit too far into the idea of my own isolation. been a lone practitioner for too long and I miss the club atmosphere.

Back to the question of running my own club. Drunken Master is too kind (and I hope I'm not giving the wrong impression as a 'done it all before breakfast' type). Although I've dabbled in several things (never done weapons!) I've never progressed too far other than in TKD. I've never really considered myself particularly great at anything I've practiced in... competent, perhaps, but not necessarily good enough to run a club (except perhaps the TKD club).

Ironically my MA training is probably more influential on my theatrework and theatre teaching!

God, this sounds like a bloody therapy session! maybe I should steal some of my cat's valium!

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 21st May 2005 at 00:41

Just from the start of your post...

You don't need to find people 'experienced' but purely interested, it gives you a chace to teach and train at the the same time.

The Admin Guy