Back to forum

Boxing... normal boxing...

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 27th May 2005 at 14:01

Just wondered what you guys think of boxing (as in Mike Tyson, Bruno, Naseem, etc, kinda boxing). I'm asking as I'm thinking of going back to it for a bit as my knee's still dodgy. I can run about on it, but the kicks involved in Muay Thai are not a good idea with the injury I have at the minute.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 27th May 2005 at 16:51

Boxing as in Mike Tyson, awesome at his best (early 20s).....would have creamed any MMA fighter before they got anywhere near to shooting in on him.

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 27th May 2005 at 22:53

sorry but no, steve you still stuck in the tma stage. check out WCC with renzo for how to shoot in on a boxer

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 27th May 2005 at 22:54

could he deal with crocops left leg????

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Friday 27th May 2005 at 23:22

That's a question and a half.

Tyson, in his early days, seemed to have the ability to ignore punches that would put anyone else on their arse. He'd walk straight into his opponent, completely ignoring their longer reach. The bloke was more of a fighter than a boxer right from the start.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 28th May 2005 at 13:06

We'll never know what would have happened and its never gonna happen now because tyson is a spent force who is well passed his prime. To say he would do well or badly is pointless. We all have our own opinions of what might or would have happened and none of us are right or wrong.

Tyson was a pure fighter both in the ring and outside the ring and he knew how to fight for real and not just in a sporting event. Towards the end of his career he forgot which fight was a sporting event and which fight was real, hence the biting and sh1T. He would do anything to win plain and simple. Hes a nasty man.:-D

Who would win between mighty mouse and danger mouse?:-p

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 31st May 2005 at 09:31

So, what you think of boxing then?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 31st May 2005 at 12:16

Boxing is good Nathan id say go for it. Itll get your fitness up and most MMAers.. study boxing anyway... so id recommend it.

toner

11 posts

Thursday 2nd June 2005 at 20:35

bren, dont be so ridiculous! tyson in his prime didnt walk into punches, he was a master of the slip and head movement to stop himself from being hit!!! in the second part of his career he may then of started to walk into punches and we all know what happens there, he got knocked out. but as someone said before tyson was a spent force in the seconf part of his career and has never returned to the former skill level he was at whilst in his late teens/early twentys

"The fight is won or lost fa

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 3rd June 2005 at 13:49

Tyson also had a natural ability to drive all his bodyweight into his range of punches, especially hooks and uppercuts. He used the power of his legs, springboarding out of his toes, whilst twisting his body trunk (similar to a discus thrower)....this is why he was so devastating and his punching could get through to any opponent.

His natural size and ability, without need to 'body build', kept him quick and he could dodge / weave / feint as well as most lighter fighting weights.

IMO his explosive attacking would have been too much for any MMA fighter to cope with.

"Its not the size of the dog i