Back to forum

Muscle Groups.

Author Comments

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Saturday 23rd July 2005 at 10:00

I was just wandering what muscle groups i need to work on to make my punches and kicks stronger? any1 know about them and/or which excersizes to do to help?

Power Is Mental And Psyical Su

catsshoulddrinkwhiskey

5 posts

Saturday 23rd July 2005 at 12:54

punches:depends on what type of punch and what style.
-for a pushing action you need the pectorals,shoulder and tricep-i do either a standing cable press with one arm or failing that do flat dumbbell presses and alternate which arm you use.
-uppercut style punches use the back and biceps,if you can find a gym with a cable machine then you can actually simulate uppercut of body shot punches with added resistance.

kicks:
-front kicks (such as kingeri),use a leg extension machine (straight forward enough) dont go too heavy though,imo just go for 3 sets of 15,or whatever works.
-thrusting or stamping kicks,use the leg press or the squat (or own body weight squats) ie.all the leg muscles.
-roundhouses?ask someone else but i just use a bag for resistance.you could also use a leg curl (ie opposite motion to leg ext) if you ever use axe kicks but i never have.
(for legs,always stretch as the muscle could cause less flexiblity-not that height really matters in bjj)

catsshoulddrinkwhiskey

5 posts

Saturday 23rd July 2005 at 13:06

almost forgot,one arm push-ups

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Saturday 23rd July 2005 at 17:42

uhh... anything for the 210 layman?

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Sunday 24th July 2005 at 18:09

lol.

Try putting a mattress or something similar up against a wall and keep throwing punches as long as you can, the muscles that ache the most are the one's you're using most. :-D

You can't go wrong doing a few sit-ups and press-ups at first but don't injure youself obviously.

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Sunday 24th July 2005 at 20:25

its creepy how u kno what i do with my matress... lol

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Sunday 24th July 2005 at 21:49

Years ago, one of my younger brothers, unable to afford a punch bag or a gym membership, used to stand his sofa up on end against the wall and go to town on it. It worked quite well for a while until it fell apart and he had to buy a new one.

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Sunday 24th July 2005 at 22:19

uhh how long did it take to fall apart