Back to forum

Different types of Fighting!

Author Comments

pinto2

2 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 14:40

Hey everyone, as you can see I'm new here. I just started Ju-Jitsu and have a really brief Karate background. I was wondering if you guys could give me a little info on what different types of martial arts specialize in. Ex: Ju-Jitsu is mostly ground work. But hopfully with a little more detial. Thanks a lot.
Daniel

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 17:40

Firstly, welcome to the site, hope ya get a lot of use out of it.

Ju-Jitsu isn't mainly groundwork, it's a mix of everything. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is mainly groundwork, but also works takedowns, so 'slightly' like Judo, but in Judo ya don't spend that much time on the ground, obviously depends on the club tho.

Some Ju-Jitsu clubs may not do any groundwork, others may, it all depends really.

Did you want details on other arts? or was that it?

The Admin Guy

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 23:49

Welcome aboard.

Which particular martial arts are you thinking of? There are a large number of different styles around. Throw in a few names.

Traditional styles or modern styles, Japanese, Chinese, up close or at a distance, on the floor or staying on your feet, hand to hand or using weapons.

(This being a Ju Jitsu site) most people will encouage you to stick with JJ (enlightened as they are) but having said that you have to draw a line between TJJ and BJJ. Ref Robs enlightened comments.

pinto2

2 posts

Friday 26th August 2005 at 00:01

Thanks for the clarification. But i was wondering about martial arts like Judo, and Karate, ect... Also, i'm really lucky because the guy I'll be working with the top rated guy in Canada. Thanks for the all the info in advance.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 26th August 2005 at 12:13

We seem to get a few candians on here dont we... welcome aboard!!!!! your not big red are you ?

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 26th August 2005 at 13:30

Karate = punching and kicking
Judo = throwing
BJJ = groundwork + takedowns
Capoiera = dancing
TKD = fancy kicks to look like a prick
Aikido = joint locks with long skirts
Ju-Jitsu = the father of all Japanese martial arts
Escrima = crazy stick people
Kung Fu = lots of monkeying around

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 26th August 2005 at 15:02

hahaha TKD to look like a prick...... v nice statement....

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Sunday 4th September 2005 at 10:46

wouldn't that be prick-boxing?

BTW, has anyone seen that scary video on the FHM Dr Dread site?

See how well I block all your

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Sunday 4th September 2005 at 17:45

hey guys, how about a little backround on ninjitsu for me?

i wanna get into it!

Power Is Mental And Psyical Su

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 15th September 2005 at 11:05

Basically, ninjitsu involves flipping out and cutting people's heads off.

I hear it also involves "hiding in the rafters with weapons, and then I'd kill you" - which is what apparently makes it better than BJJ, boxing, thai boxing etc.

DEFEATED IN AL

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Saturday 17th September 2005 at 14:34

sneak attack....sounds.....fun.

Power Is Mental And Psyical Su

budoman

12 posts

Saturday 17th September 2005 at 16:30

interesting subject for me. alot of people look down on tkd. And just about anybody you speak with will tell you that what they study or train in is going to be the best martial art. These days bjj is very popular because of the gracie's and the ufc so there are alot of people who study this form. Even bjj came from tjj but was just evolved like a sience by the gracie family.Wherever you train just make sure it is a sience that is always changing looked at like a sience and not a tradition that is not updated or things arnt added from time to time that will work. Dont study just one style. Learn anything that works.