Back to forum

1st 3 UK bjj blackbelts

Author Comments

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 1st October 2005 at 21:32

[image=http://www.andy-roberts.co.uk/DSC00919a.jpg]

Jude Samuel, Marc Walder and Rick Young all received their black belts from Mauricio Gomes and Roger Gracie today, Braulio Estima was also in attendance.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 2nd October 2005 at 01:14

Bloody hell, congrats to all, bit of a snowball! Guess SFUK will be overwhelmed!

Didn't think Marc had been Brown belt for over a couple of years?

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 3rd October 2005 at 13:25

what does that matter?

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 3rd October 2005 at 15:16

It obviously doesn't, but I was always under the impression you'd be looking at about 4+ years between Brown and Black.

Obviously it's got nowt to do with 'time-spent', but I did think 2 years was pretty quick.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 3rd October 2005 at 16:52

think if you know it you know it doesnt matter how long you spent .... me ill be a whitebelt for life!

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Monday 3rd October 2005 at 23:47

Looks like you're being left behind Rob.

Time to get back to training eh? ;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th October 2005 at 00:56

Tell me about it!!! :-X

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 4th October 2005 at 14:32

brown to black is probably the shortest transition after white to blue

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 10:06

Andy my club isnt affiliated with anyone (i.e not barra no head coach...) will i still be able to get a blue belt if i goto seminars and obviously make the grade or does it not happen anymore like that?

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 10:48

This is all good news, well done to all concerned. Like they read this.

As for belt promotions, Royce and that will still do them at seminars, but from what I've heard, Barra is going to get a lot more strict. So my blue under Royce may have to be retired. i.e. I've lost it anyway. John broke his collarbone the other day and we used my belt as a sling...it didn't make it back from the hospital. I have visions of some doctor walking round the wards with it tied round his white overcoat thing.

So yeah, it's back to white for me.

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 10:56

Cant you buy a new one?

So if you get your blue from someone will it still count at a barra gym or wont they recognise it ?

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 11:01

I could buy a new one, but I can't be arsed. It's only a belt.

DEFEATED IN AL

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 11:15

Din't know Barra was getting strict about things like that? Can't see why tho, is a bit pointless, if you've got a purple belt on and get whooped all the time, you'd just look silly anyway.

I was always under the impression that belts didn't really mean anything, so why make an issue out of it and starts 'banning' them?

The Admin Guy

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 11:21

You've taken my comedy stylings at face value, silly boy. It's not like anyone is going to get 'banned' (as far as I know), but going by what I was told the other day, the standard will have to be better than it has been to progress. If that makes sense.

DEFEATED IN AL

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 5th October 2005 at 21:38

I know ya dint mean banned, but maybe frowned upon?

The Admin Guy

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 6th October 2005 at 08:22

No idea, ask Andy. All I was told is that progression means you'll have to be that bit better than you would have had to be say 2-3 years ago. i.e. when rubbish people like you got your blue.

DEFEATED IN AL