Back to forum

Bjj?

Author Comments

wee steve

12 posts

Monday 9th January 2006 at 17:30

Hi i have been enjoying studying Traditional Ju-Jitsu for the last six months purely to get fit and as a source as self defence. I have enjoyed it very much but i have noticed a slightly negative view of the traditional style and wondered why? I have enjoyed studying what i would consider a complete style of self defence (i.e 1 with strikes, throws, locks and grappling) so why the negativety? What are the weakneses?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 9th January 2006 at 20:17

The grappling is pants in TJJ. Believe me im a former TJJer.. The problem with TJJ is that it is taught by people that believe that its all you need. TJJ is good but its not the complete package, maybe BJJ isn't ?? I wouldnt say everyones opinion is negative it just hasnt progressed in the way other martial arts have.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 9th January 2006 at 20:27

Just re-read my post :-O grapplin in TJJ :-))

The only thing i remember is escaping from headlocks on the ground

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 10th January 2006 at 07:55

TJJ is more for taking care of a drunk uncle at a party.

But it really depends on your instructor. If they stick to a strict Japanese style, then it might be pants. If they incorporate more grappling, more boxing, etc. then it'll obviously be better.

I used to love doing TJJ, but after a while it got a bit stale and i needed something more.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 10th January 2006 at 10:29

yeah i agree... the static right hand punch began to bore me... But its a good grounding for other MA.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 11th January 2006 at 13:02

bjj sucks

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"