Back to forum

judo...

Author Comments

guitargod0902

10 posts

Tuesday 9th May 2006 at 02:48

Hello, I'm new to bjj as of a month ago and new to the site as of a week ago. Although i go 6 days a week 3 hours a night I would like to start off by saying i don't have much knowledge on the subject of bjj so as to avoid any possible mudslinging my way.

my question: it is my impression that judo seems to focus plenty on take downs and not a whole lot of groundwork. Now wouldn't this be exactly what a bjj expert(or novice) would essentially want so as to get the judo opponent into submission?
Plz feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this but wouldn't using judo against a bjj'er work against himself?

When life gives you lemonades

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 9th May 2006 at 10:44

thats some serious training!

I personally think it would but i think it depends on the judo school and how they train subs on the ground.:-D

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 9th May 2006 at 12:34

Like Sl says, if it's a standard Judo club, with, as you say, pure takedowns and not much submission, then it's not really a match anyway. Even if the Judo guy gets the BJJ player down, the rest of the fight will most probably go in the BJJ'ers favour.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 9th May 2006 at 13:04

i still need to find a judo club!

Did you go seni robsco?

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 9th May 2006 at 18:14

Fraid not, got an abses under my wisdom tooth and my face swelled up pretty bad on Sunday morning.

I currently look like a hamster. :-|

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 10th May 2006 at 11:42

Nasty i went didn't compete (long story) couldnt believe the amount of competitors for the invitational, seen Chuck Liddell and master sken! :-p

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 27th May 2006 at 15:46

My club tends to do half and half. First hour on throws, second hour on groundwork. The reason Judo in on it's feet more is due to the rules as a sport. For the slightest inactivity or lack of advantage on the ground, the referee will restart the fighters on their feet. This along with the ability to score points with takedowns or by pinning is the fundimental difference between BJJ and Judo. BJJ is to the submission, and has more legal ones that Judo does.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 10th January 2008 at 13:16

Okay, it was over a year ago I said the above statement. I've since learned that the theory is that it takes longer and is harder to learn the stand up. If I'm honest, I feel far more confident and understand what I'm doing when we start fights in ne waza (ground).

There is a dispute in the BJC forum, that matches are stopped too early in judo when they hit the ground, the judge isn't supposed to stand them back up unless there is no possiblities for the judoka to progress. If that's true, it's strange that I've only ever seen them get stood up quickly in the little judo I've seen in the olympics. Possibly it's that the judo players decide not to progress.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 10th January 2008 at 13:46

think with judo a lot of it depends on the ref. ive also heard you get so many seconds to advance your position or the ref will stand you up?

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 12th January 2008 at 18:13

It's certainly possible, different associations have differing rules

outkast

Spectator

39 posts

Thursday 21st February 2008 at 19:01

hi guys im a judo coach so will try to shed some light.it comes down to the ref there are different grades of them the lower grades dont seem to have the ground knowlege so its easier to stand back up my coach refs and will leave the fight on the ground as long as the fighters are working also he claims the stand up rule came in to make the comp look better for tv as ground foghting for the average jo can look boring

the darkside is more fun