Back to forum

Becoming a cage fighter.

Author Comments

bertie

5 posts

Sunday 11th June 2006 at 22:47

How do you get to fight in the UFC or in the cage, are you scouted and offered a deal, someone please enlighten me!

guitargod0902

10 posts

Monday 12th June 2006 at 05:08

What do you train in? If you do submission wrestling or bjj there are many competitions going on. you can gain some recognition that way(like dean lister and abu dabi). In whatever you train in there are bound to be competitions you can enter. if u dont really train in anything yet and just think it seems like it would be cool to be a cage fighter i suggest you join a muay thai gym, kickboxing, boxing, bjj, submission wrestling or if you are fortunate enough you can find a training center like mine which has all the above and actually trains fighters. or if u can join an mma school. they'll lead u 2 some fights. Personally im not exactly sure how it woks, i hope to be having an amateur mma career by the end of 2 years. I do know that i would have an easy in, as my coach is former mma fighter and a one time fighter in the ufc.
so basically here it is in steps.
1.join a school, mma preferably
2 train for along time, get comfortable
3. Find someone who can guide u through the process, coach or trainer, manager, etc
4.then you have to pass a sparring test with the athletic comission and some other tests and what not

dunno after that, i suppose you have to get someone to manage ur mma career

When life gives you lemonades

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 12th June 2006 at 09:56

I doubt you're training in anything that would lead to fighting in the cage cos' you would've heard about the ways in by now with people you train with, otherwise you haven't got any good trainers for heading in that direction.

Find a decent club that teaches BJJ/Muay Thai/sub wrestling, then start to enter some amateur events.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 13th June 2006 at 08:18

tests to fight in the cage?:-p

guitargod0902

10 posts

Wednesday 14th June 2006 at 05:41

It may seem wierd but there actually is a test in order to do amateur mma, (and pro probably) at least in california. The athletic comission puts you through several sparring sessions to see if you can hold your own. I'm going by what my trainer says and he's an mma fighter and is a fight promoter.

When life gives you lemonades

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 14th June 2006 at 10:27

I'm quite sure there's nowt like that in the UK, just get in touch with a promoter, and fight.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 14th June 2006 at 13:10

yep just turn up in your shorts and scrap!

bertie

5 posts

Wednesday 28th June 2006 at 22:04

I kickbox and self-train so had no idea. I have joined a ju-jitsu club now so I am now making my way up. look out for the future of UFC hehe.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 08:20

bjj or tjj???

bertie

5 posts

Saturday 1st July 2006 at 17:25

BJJ. My trainer competes in the World Championships

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 1st July 2006 at 20:16