Author Comments

Partyboy

10 posts

Friday 16th June 2006 at 22:11

ty m8, i know about so far around 6 but ill look into it! :-D

Jon

7 posts

Thursday 22nd June 2006 at 14:10

You seem a bit of a tit partyboy , your a brown belt yet dont know how to defend yourself? the classics are allways the best, you say your worried about a fight ? bar fight eg: a good old reclining leg throw when your about to be glassed? never fails try that.

Jon Rocks

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 22nd June 2006 at 17:06

hahaha reclining leg throw your getting a pint glass to the back of your head.

takeyoudown2345

4 posts

Friday 23rd June 2006 at 19:17

self-defense is where he starts it and you finish it as quick as possible. You cross the line when you kick him in the gut when he's on the floor and break a chair over his head.;-)

No guts, no glory

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 24th June 2006 at 08:47

yep kicking on the floor or positioning your bar stool on his face will grant you with a custodial sentence!!!!!

Or two years of community service and probation..;-)

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Monday 26th June 2006 at 12:42

Striking both temples to stun? Why not!

Cupping both hands and striking your opponents ears will do the job too, with the added bonus/possibility of bursting his eardrums.:-p

Jon

7 posts

Wednesday 28th June 2006 at 14:58

Well SL if your stupid enough not to see the pint glass coming then you deserve a head full of glass!!
oh and for your info reclining leg throw comes with an upward block to begin with so it doesnt matter which way the glass comes from if u know its coming its called being prepared

Jon Rocks

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 28th June 2006 at 18:48

Would that be the same "reclining leg throw" as in Robs techniques section? If so, I'd have to agree with sl. Why turn your back or commit to one knee unless you've dissarmed him first.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 00:25

I have more to say on that subject but will be back tomorrow. :-)

Reclining leg throw my ar*e! :-))

The Admin Guy

Jon

7 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 05:09

Similar but where i practice it is taught with an upward block then strike before dropping to the knee and once the guy is on his back it leaves him open to allsorts of fun leg and foot locks

Jon Rocks

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 08:26

jon your full of crap. Open your eyes if your lucky enough to block the pint glass then you should really be thinking about butting him in the face first of then if you can go for a throw to put him on the deck. Then its my friend the river dance......... or run forest run...Reclining leg throw isnt going to swing it if you commit to one knee you might get a knee back in the face or simply punched in the head or bottled by his mate......

Ill give you something to try Jon... find a mate stick some boxing gloves on him tell him he can punch you as hard as he / she wants and try and leg throw him... ( i know the example was a pint glass but seriously .... try it)

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 08:28

just read this back......

Missed your part about leg locks hahahahahahaha.

Does your gym teach full contact sparring?

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 12:45

If I was going to use a throw I'd want to go for something that would leave me on my feet, like an O Soto Gari or a Tai Otoshi, or a full sacrifice like a Soto Makikommi.

It seems a bit stupid to be debating a situation like this, in reality all I'd be doing is trying "not to get hit with the glass".:-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 12:55

There are obviously too many throws in TJJ that look good, and might be a bit fancy, but you'd have absolutely no way to pull them off in many real-world situations.

If the guys got a pint glass, you're in a pub no doubt, not too many people drink alone, so his friends are there too.

Do you really think a reclining leg throw is gonna work? Or rather, are you actually gonna get down there to pull it off.

I'd try SL's advice, pop some boxing gloves on then try it a few times, it's the best way to learn what REALLY works.

The Admin Guy

Jon

7 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 14:02

ah yes because i carry boxing gloves and a stick to the pub with me , the harsh reality is there is no onemove that will save you from a group of people even if u were able to pull off a stood up throw you leave yourself vulnerable to his mates i was refering to a one on one situation u say don boxing gloves well since you lot try to shut me down here we go for you

as im pulling on my boxing gloves that i have conveniantly brought strangely with me to the pub...HE COULD GLASS ME in the face.

the whole point to jujitsu is self defence if u cant block a simple attack u probably deserve that pint glass to the forehead region.

Jon Rocks

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 14:14

Jon you have got us completely wrong.... ;-) And were not trying to shut you down...

Basically saying in that situation it wont work.... you might aswell block the glassing and then proceed to punch him ... unless he is treally pissed then leg throw away......

But if you start pulling leg locks in pubs hahaha.

And on the boxing gloves i meant for you and a training partner to try some things out so you know what works and what doesnty.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 29th June 2006 at 18:08

That's right, we're not talking about wearing boxing gloves in a pub!

When you train techniques in a 'traditional' club, your partner is willing to let you practice the move, and that's great, but try doing that move and partner defends.

Then try it while your 2-point sparring.

Then try it when you're free sparring.

Now try it with your partner wearing some boxing gloves and tell him to hit you as hard as he likes to stop you getting the throw.

That simple clean-cut reclining leg throw suddenly changes into a mad technique to attempt in a hostile situation.

Until you've tried all that, or atleast some of it, you can't really argue your point, because most of us here will have tried such things many times before, that's why we're saying it's a bit bonkers.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 30th June 2006 at 08:23

Yep.. not shutting you down though this the place afterall to discuss technique etc.. (probably the best thread in a while for dicussion) haha

Jon

7 posts

Sunday 2nd July 2006 at 17:10

that could be said for any movek your right it is awkward but i also have sparring partners so know exactly what it is like , there is no right or wrong move but what it doesnt show there is the strike to the face before dropping for the throw which i find makes all the differance , no doubt your just a slower mover than me (no offence)

and besides it was just an example from a list of many, you say try it with a sparring partner who will fight back but the truth is every move in the book can and will go wrong at some point and there is no way to avoid it , you just have to be adaptable to the situation

Jon Rocks

Jon

7 posts

Sunday 2nd July 2006 at 17:13

and just out of interest im a bouncer in liverpool which is why i took up Jujitsu so not only have i "sparred" but most friday and saturday nights end with atleast one drunk ejection or punch up , so its good practice ,

Jon Rocks