Back to forum

where to start

Author Comments

playwithme

1 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 17:42

hi webmaster, i havent been on this site for a while, was hoping there would be some photos for the brown, purple and black belts. oh well. what i was wondering is, iv always liked the idea of jujitsu and i had a friend try and teach me some moves once but iv since forgotten them as theyve moved away. do you have any idea of any clubs near me and how much they cost etc. or can i actually do it on my own, could you maybe direct me on how to start, if i went to a club i would be going on my own and this puts me off a bit

tazza

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 00:33

Firstly don't worry about joining a club on your own.

It's kinda one of those things, seems scary at first, but after an hour you'll have met some great people all interesated in the same thing as you.

That first hurdle will be the only one, some great wise man (apparently) said... the first step is the hardest (or something like that. :-)

So just one night say, sod it to everything, and walk down to your local club and ask to join in. Everyone's very welcoming (if they're not, you've chose the wrong club), but that is VERY unlikely.

Join in and get to know people, don't treat it like a school. It's a club, you're doing it in your own free time, and doing something you're interested in.

If I was you, I'd walk into every martial arts club near you, no matter what style, and try out a class, see who you meet, what friends you make, you'll no doubt meet someone who lives 2 houses away from you!

Just have fun, and see where it takes you.

Like I said, the first step is often the hardest.

Go along to a club, and most imprtantly, let us know how you got on.

The Admin Guy

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 00:36

... and don't ask for the higher grade stuff if you haven't even started training yet... it'll cause more harm than good, believe me!

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 08:27

Excellent advice..... Think Nike Air Max once said... Just Do It!
Let us know how you get on.

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 17:10

Ju Jitsu in Grimsby. Search engine found this if it's any help.

[link=http://beehive.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=2697]beehive.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/default.asp?WCI=SiteHome&ID=2697[/link]

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 18:36

I've not trained at that one myself, but I am from Grimsby. I used to teach at another club there when I visted home. The other one is near Corporation Bridge i believe.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 8th July 2006 at 08:20

If you did find a friend to go with, your commitment would be based on theirs, and if you've convinced them to go, it's not likely to last. If you've gone to the trouble of looking up moves, you're already more interested than some people that turn up for classes are.
Just go to your first, get it over with, meet new people, maybe make new friends. You can only ever have one first time on your own.