Back to forum

Judo v Ju Jitsu

Author Comments

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Friday 6th October 2006 at 04:04

I accepted a grappling match from a judo blackbelt that's in my tae kwon do class. I'm a blue belt in bjj and third degree blackbelt in karate. I wondering if anyone knows some judo signature moves so that I can watch for them and counter them. I'm 5'7 and really flexible, he's stiff but about 6'2. Niether one of us have grappled in years. Advice?

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 6th October 2006 at 21:22

Erm, well I managed to easily tap a couple of Judo Black Belts, before or soon after getting my Blue Belt in BJJ.

I'm more confused that you're both doing TaeKwon Do. :-))

Nah, seriously, what got you interested in TaeKwon Do? The first thing that springs to mind is the striking aspect, but wouldn't Muay Thai be better?

The Admin Guy

Lyndsey

10 posts

Friday 6th October 2006 at 21:38

Doesnt JuJitsu involve a lot of Judo anyways, kinda combines a lot of the other martial arts together??

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 7th October 2006 at 01:46

Well Judo came from Ju-Jitsu, so in reality anything a Judoka knows, a ju-jitsu student should know know also.

The Admin Guy

Lyndsey

10 posts

Saturday 7th October 2006 at 14:58

thought so,.. I'm still a bit rusty with the history and that, plus my old club didnt realy used to emphasise the history or japenese names etc,.. its all still a learning curve lol

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 7th October 2006 at 19:10

you will get thrown and pinned.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Sunday 8th October 2006 at 21:35

We both took tae kwon do because it was the only martial arts club on campus and niether of us had cars when we started. Once I got there though I found the instructor is very down to earth, he makes us learn the forms but he mainly trains students in ROTC and police, once the form basics are learned he starts showing us practical self defense (lots of it I recognized as brazilian and japanese ju jitsu, also krav maga.)

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 14th October 2006 at 21:02

Hi guys, I'm back (incase anyone noticed me gone). You're going to get your ass kicked, not that I'm biased or anything....

Genesis

6 posts

Wednesday 1st November 2006 at 16:22

True on the Judo and Ju-Jitsu being close too the same thing.

Take out Phase 1 of Ju-Jitsu and you got a basic Judo Match. To be honest, your BJJ skills may not help much in the match, because judo matches rely on the throw too win the match, you may get lucky and it have it go to the ground, but highly unlikely.

My name is Borat, I am from Kazahkstan

DEANO

2 posts

Friday 17th November 2006 at 11:07

Hi
I am a black belt in both judo and ju-jitsu, and have held both for about 9 years.
the fact of the matter is that if this bloke is a decent black belt judoka, you will get thrown within about 5 seconds and you probaly won't even see it coming.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 17th November 2006 at 23:25

Welcome to the forum Deano.

A straight Judoka vs a traditional Ju-Jitsu student would obviously result in the jujitsu guy getting thrown within seconds.

I think however we're talking about a Judoka vs a BJJ player.

The Admin Guy

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Saturday 18th November 2006 at 15:02

Thanks guys. So far we have sparred 3 times, he threw me around a lot but we took out the point system and made it purely grappling after that. The first one ended in a tie, since neither of us were wearing gis we were both a little lost with submissions, the second time he beat me by a gi choke and the third one I was able to throw him. Surprisingly I used a traditional ju jitsu over the shoulder hip throw to set up and arm bar and win. :-)

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 23rd December 2006 at 17:13

Just lookin in guys...aint been on here for ages...anyway I see old judo vs jujitsu thing still raging..

If jodo player gets side control or maybe mount then he will pin u and fight will stalemate to time...his advantage.

If you can keep a guard (open or closed) or good enough to take his back u will get a submission armbar or choke. simple as..

Steve.

"Its not the size of the dog i

keeperofthegates

Spectator

2 posts

Monday 19th March 2007 at 01:35

"Break his legs" Its what my sensei would say. Meaning tear his stance apart.

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 19th March 2007 at 09:23

So don't come at him with a baseball bat then? :-)

The Admin Guy