Back to forum

Royce Gracie

Author Comments

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Friday 20th October 2006 at 03:52

When I heard Matt Hughes beat him I was really impressed until I saw the fight. Does anybody know why Gracie fought without his gi? In previous fights he used the gi to escape some of the situations he was in in that fight. Seems like a strange strategy to get rid of it.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 20th October 2006 at 12:09

Gracie previously fought when the UFC was still a no rules elimination tournament and soon to be banned. It is now a fully fledged sanctioned sporting event, requiring rules. There are now restrictions regarding clothes and gloves to be worn by competitors.

diamondcpitbullgirl

1 posts

Sunday 29th October 2006 at 20:54

I WAS VERY SAD TO SEE MATT HUGHES WIN AGAINST THE GREAT ROYCE GRACIE.EVERYONE HAS A BAD DAY ,AND I BELIEVE IF IT WAS DONE AGAIN ROYCE WOULD WIN BY SUBMISSION.[link=http:/?www.diamondcpitbulls.com]http:/?www.diamondcpitbulls.com[/link]

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Tuesday 31st October 2006 at 00:13

Royce Gracie would beat Hughes in any submission match outside the UFC. Hughes is well trained and without a gi to keep him from slipping away it will always be a close match, I think Hughes will win. I think it'd be lop-sided in favour of Gracie in K1 or somemthing like that.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

sweeper

3 posts

Tuesday 31st October 2006 at 03:04

I personally don't believe Matt Hughes is THAT great, especially after his fight with BJ Penn( the first round haha). I think that Royce Gracie surpasses Matt Hughes in many aspects aswell as experience; on the street i gotta give it to Gracie.,...besides, Hughes is getting a bit Cocky, but thats ok cause GSP will take him out of comm.:-)):-))

charlie khoury

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Tuesday 31st October 2006 at 14:32

You gotta admit he knows how to stay out of trouble. When he mounted Royce's back a less fighter would have been a macho man and tried to be the first person to choke Gracie. Hughes stayed upright so as not to give Gracie the leverage to roll. I assume that's why he stayed up, or it might have been just luck.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

Genesis

6 posts

Wednesday 1st November 2006 at 16:31

I saw the fight, i thought it was good, I really thought Gracie would have had his arm broken by that kamura, but thats just me.

As for the no Gi thing, rules state now that you can't wear Gis n e more. so everybodies equal i'm supposed.

My name is Borat, I am from Kazahkstan

JJCOSSY

3 posts

Monday 19th March 2007 at 14:29

gracie as been choked out before when he fought a carlson gracie black belt

Don't hate the player...Instead learn from him

nav

Spectator

2 posts

Friday 30th March 2007 at 22:15

Royce Gracie was the best of his time but there is no way he would be able to compete with today's MMA competitors.

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 31st March 2007 at 00:41

That's true, these day's all I see is him trying to make point, but as far as I'm concerned he's already made the point, right at the beginning, so he should be taking pride in that.

Perhaps it's not that easy saying "I'm the face of the UFC, I'm the one who got the whole world excited about it..."

But the truth is, for most of us, Royce made it happen.

The Admin Guy