Back to forum

Rear Naked Choke

Author Comments

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 25th October 2006 at 00:01

I was grappling that judo guy today and I got his back twice but I couldn't set the choke. We weren't wearing gis so it had to be naked. He's a lot bigger than me and I couldn't get my legs below him to push flatten him out. Advice?

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 25th October 2006 at 18:13

What rules were you using? If I can't get my hooks in I swap between choke and arm attempts whilst still trying to get them in, then jump on whatever they give me.
Sometimes if you can't flatten them out, it's quicker if you can roll over your shoulder so that they are on top with you on their back, risky, they might manage to spin into your guard, but they can't stop you securing their body with your legs and defend the choke at the same time.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 26th October 2006 at 18:26

We are using his judo rules, I can't be on my back for more than 20 seconds, so while I don't mind guard, I don't want to try to roll him over. I thought about attempting an arm bar with the one he left on the ground, but I was afraid that if he spun out of it he would get my back. An idea I had last night was to try a leg triangle, but I've never attempted one from the back before, nor have I ever seen one. I think it would work and even if he pulls his head free I have a good position to take the arm.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 27th October 2006 at 21:17

I've seen triangles from the top and from the back in books, but never in a fight. You'd run a big risk of him scrambling out backwards, but as I say, it is possible.
For Judo rules, he has to have you pinned in a recognised osaekomi move for the alloted time, not just you being on your back. Unless he is very much better or heavier than you, you shouldn't allow this to affect your submission strategy.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Sunday 29th October 2006 at 16:17

He's not that much better than me, we have the same amount of grappling training, he's about a hundred pounds larger than me though :-) O well, I'll try to get him to omit that rule and mix JJ and Judo rules to put both of us in our element.
I tried the rear triangle on a friend yesterday and couldn't get it, and she has no grappling experience at all, so I'm positive I couldn't get it on someone who does. I wouldn't recommend attempting it either, I almost fell on my head she she moved, it is a good way to pull and arm out for a bar though.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 30th October 2006 at 17:04

The rear triangle is very tricky to get at all, i've attempted it for a laugh in the past and only managed to get it tight-enough once or twice.

The Admin Guy

sweeper

3 posts

Tuesday 31st October 2006 at 03:06

I agree with trying to convince to use jj rules, because otherwise you lose a lot of options.

charlie khoury

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 23rd December 2006 at 17:18

Sounds like you were too impatient setting ur choke... should be slowly applied pressure bringing your own elbows towards each other over 5 to 10seconds...will seem like no effect at first. If you tried to apply with force, tensed arms then it would fail.

Steve.

"Its not the size of the dog i