Back to forum

I'm building a grappling dummy

Author Comments

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 23rd November 2006 at 22:45

I made a skeleton out of pvc piping and heavy duty chothesline rope and everything locks perfectly. I put some padding on his body so that he's kind of beefed up, but only weighs about thirty pounds. Any ideas of how to raise the weight up by about a hundred pounds? Also, what do you think would be a good (cheap) head that I can drop elbows on?

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

spider

Regular

235 posts

Monday 16th February 2009 at 10:10

So how did this go? Can dummies be good, or do they have to cost ridiculous amounts and look disturbingly like a 'companion'?

ejharte

Spectator

23 posts

Wednesday 17th June 2009 at 12:16

try cheap weights from your local car boot fair or market(to make it heavier). try an old football or rugby as a head.

Smile, it makes your teeth feel special.

ejharte

Spectator

23 posts

Wednesday 17th June 2009 at 12:23

one of my mates from jj said some old pillows sown together would be good enough. You could always use a gullable mate or dad.

domn8

Spectator

15 posts

Friday 19th June 2009 at 07:40

I'd love to construct such a thing, butr my GF would think i was trying some kind of frankenstein type experiment to replace her. And would be even more distressed when i started mounting it.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 19th June 2009 at 21:49

heh, it's all about the dedication!

The Admin Guy

domn8

Spectator

15 posts

Monday 22nd June 2009 at 07:37

After reading this thread i actually started having a look at grappling dummies and have now decided i really want one. Does anyone actually own one or use one in training? "Rodney" seems a popular one from blitz sports but will set you back £140, also if you type submission master on youtube there is an awesome dummy but this is only available in the U.S.
I'd pay £140 for Rodney if i thought it was useful as a serious training tool and for pumping out endless reps of triangles/arm bars/transitions etc.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Monday 22nd June 2009 at 17:55

I too looked for grappling dummies obviously. The Rodney thing is a waste of money, it would be like wrestling with loosely stuffed clothes. Submission Master looks good but as you said, expensive and only available in the states.

domn8

Spectator

15 posts

Wednesday 24th June 2009 at 13:27

hmmm. anyone actually used one with an opinion?

ejharte

Spectator

23 posts

Tuesday 23rd February 2010 at 16:16

Never used one, never needed one, making one had crossed my mind, never had the time to make it. I feel they are crazily priced you could knock up one to the specification that YOU want, rather than what someone else wants for a fraction of a price.