Back to forum

your 1st tournament

Author Comments

guitargod0902

10 posts

Monday 12th February 2007 at 00:29

Hey I had my 1st no gi brazilian jiu jitsu tournamtnt today and ima lil bummed. Ive been training in bjj for about 9 months or so. I won my 1st match to via armbar. unfortunately the guy was a cardio freak and stalled the whole time by cranking my neck. I ended up expelling alot of energy. almost all my energy in fact. didn't mean to, but it was all i could do. Then i lost to my seceond opponent i should have easilly beat but outt weighed me and out muscled me by stalling also. This time i was on reserves and after this i had literally nothing. I lost my 3rd match due to a triangle choke, mind im as good as this kid but he was smaller so had i had energy, my strength would have been a factor. I was so frustrated by getting 4th place as i was far better than anyone else and had i not been paired up with the muscle head i woulda been fine. i train like a mad dog and i am considered the best white belt in my gyma and better than the majority of blue belts. so to lose in such a fashion was so infuriating, almost like a matt hughes bj penn 2 to give an idea. Pretty discouraged but im gonna keep training. Mybe i take bjj too seriously and shouldn't make anything of it. watdya guys think?

So my question is how did u guys do on ur 1st tourny? anything similar?

When life gives you lemonades

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 12th February 2007 at 22:16

Well it's good that you don't get discouraged too easily.

Sounds like you met every kind of opponent in one tourny, and lucky you, now you've got a good idea of what to look for in future tourny's.

No-one's perfect and you're always likely to come up against some giant who simply doesn't move, perhaps that's their game-plan, and something you need to work against.

Personally, my first few ground-grappling tournaments sucked, not knowing what to expect, and not really being in the mind-frame for a tournament - expecting it to be like training.

From your accounts you did a great job, and nothing to be annoyed about, we live and learn.

Atleast it didn't take you 4 tournaments to meet (and lose to) those kinds of fighters, so count yourself lucky!

The Admin Guy

Blackout

5 posts

Tuesday 13th February 2007 at 02:46

Robsco I don't think I could have said it better myself discouragement in any sport is the biggest evil of all evil's. The best thing to do is to feel your opponent out.

Don't tie up right away just be sure to stay on your toes keeping your guard up as best as you can. Let them make the mistakes and when they do watch where there mistakes are or where they may have weak spots.

Most all fighters that are on top are very conservative as I am. I let my opponents make the calls and I feed on there weak spots and mistakes. The pure pressure of the boo's from the crowd should not lead you to doing things that you are not comfortable with so keep that in mind also.

More fights have been won by the most least aggressive fighters than the more aggressive ones but then again this is not always the case but allot of the times it just seems to be that way.

Though I have no prior experience with training in a facility setting I have been in more fights in high school than the average teen goes through just in a two year span and it went on for longer than just two years it all started when I was in grade three kids always seemed to like to pick on me.

There was only one I was in that involved more than one guy coming at me which was three people that I ended up with a hair line crack in one of my ribs and believe me after that hapend it took allot out of me to fight the guys off that were attacking me.

Get to know your opponent before you tie up and commit to anything that may spell disaster for you. Just lay back the first round and watch his moves and you will probably do better next time.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Tuesday 13th February 2007 at 15:04

Go running, if you got winded in your first fight then you should train like hell for the next one, muscle endurance is also something to work on.

As for my first tournament I did well because I had been competing in various things my whole life so didn't get nervous or overambitious. White belt tournaments are spuratic, it's not always the best guy who wins because even the best guy can make a newbie mistake and accidentally fall into a trap, the more experience you'll get the less mistakes you'll make and the more you'll start to win if you are in fact the best.

I've seen the best yellow belt in one of my classes loose his first two fights, but he hasn't lost since (against an equivalent rank of course.)

Again, work on your endurance.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Tuesday 13th February 2007 at 15:05

Go running, if you got winded in your first fight then you should train like hell for the next one, muscle endurance is also something to work on.

As for my first tournament I did well because I had been competing in various things my whole life so didn't get nervous or overambitious. White belt tournaments are spuratic, it's not always the best guy who wins because even the best guy can make a newbie mistake and accidentally fall into a trap, the more experience you'll get the less mistakes you'll make and the more you'll start to win if you are in fact the best.

I've seen the best yellow belt in one of my classes loose his first two fights, but he hasn't lost since (against an equivalent rank of course.)

Again, work on your endurance.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Tuesday 13th February 2007 at 15:06

Sorry about the double post, Safari did something weird.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

guitargod0902

10 posts

Wednesday 14th February 2007 at 04:36

Actually my conditioning is very good but i will work 2 improve it nonetheless. Actually looking back on the tape of my first and second match i realized why i gassed. In the entirety of both matches while both guys stalled i never stopped moving for a better position. My legs were completely dead from pushing off of him to create space. I now realize i should conserve myself more and wait for him to make a mistake and jump on it, not constantly work for the submission the entire time. cuz i will just gass out like i did b4. I was overzealous and pulle guard right away and wanted a quick submission so i never stopped working. It';s funny, i don't make this mistake in training but i got caught up in my own adrenaline. And thanks 4 the advice, much appreciated and if u have any more i am very open to suggestions.

But my new game plan is to pull guard, but feel it out more and take it slower and wait 4 him to make a mistake and burst there as opposed 2 working constantly. sound good 2 u guys?

When life gives you lemonades