Back to forum

Interesting inexperienced fighter observation

Author Comments

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Friday 23rd March 2007 at 02:54

I was in my tae kwon do club today and suggested 'let's grapple' to show that the locks that we are being taught standing up still work on the ground and three guys accepted the challenge. All three were far less experienced than me (black, purple, and yellow belts,) and had absolutely no grappling experience, but the first two each outweighed me by 70lbs or so.

Anyway I noticed that once I set a trap they fell right into it. The blackbelt pulled one arm out of my high guard to try and push me off and I pulled a triangle choke, I got one of the purple belts arms in between my legs and he stood up, making the arm bar easier, and the yellow belt gave me his back when we went down allowing me to do a rear naked choke.

I suspected that they would fall into traps like Gracie had designed them but I was unprepared for the difficulty of actually setting the traps. Because they didn't really know how to handle themselves they thrashed around and tried some unorthadox choke attempts and I had a more difficult setting them up that I do against an experienced judo or ju jitsu player.

Just something to keep in mind if you ever had to take someone down, you are used to grappling someone who doesn't panic and knows how to smoothly transition, so they will not fight like you will be expecting them to.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 23rd March 2007 at 10:22

I've seen this many times with beginners, they go f*cking nuts sometimes!

I keep meaning to tell them "you're doing it wrong" but they obviously aren't.

It's good to grapple with guys like this so you never get too comfortable and expect something that doesn't happen.

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 27th April 2007 at 21:48

"I suspected that they would fall into traps like Gracie had designed them"

wtf? wierdo

i bet you'd have more difficulty putting them on me than a white belt.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 27th April 2007 at 21:52

it's been a while Andy, what you upto these days? still darn sarf?

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 27th April 2007 at 22:04

i'm still a northerner in the south

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"