Back to forum

Training with a Pacemaker

Author Comments

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Saturday 30th June 2007 at 15:02

Hi All,

Some Advice please I have had my pacemaker fitted and have been told that I should be allowed to do Judo BJJ in 3-6 months, does anyone out there have any experience of training someone like myself or has trained with someone who has a pacemaker?? Any advice?

Oh and is Gracie Barra Swansea any good??

I like pies

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Saturday 30th June 2007 at 15:26

I've just realsied that some of the info you have for me may be a little personal, anything that is not suitable for the forum you can email me on, simondavies1978@tiscali.co.uk

Obviously rather it for the forum as I cant be the only bionic memeber!!

I like pies

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 30th June 2007 at 16:30

If you've got a Gracie Barra place close then you're lucky, obviously they'll all differ, but I don't you'll go far wrong.

As for the pacemaker, not got a clue personally, what's the doc's said?

The Admin Guy

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Saturday 30th June 2007 at 20:52

Well the Doc sort of gave me a funny look when I said Jujitsu, so I said Bjj again a funny look so I asked about judo. He was not too impressed by this idea, thought the whole concept of being thrown arrround a bit silly. He did say that I should allow at least 3 months for the muscles in the heart and chest to grow around the implant then I should be able to do contact sports like rugby so I think that was sort of an ok. I would like to train standup again always loved karate and kickboxing but I can see that a direct strike to the pacemaker may not do me much good. Grappling however I can't see why not. I thought that there may be someone out there with the same as me and could come along and say don't worry mate it makes no difference. Dr's on the whole do not like combat sports, they think we are all nuts. Oh by the way had an x ray to see how my implant had settled after the op, and the consultant came to see me to tell me all ok and go home, he pointed out at least 4 fractures in my left rib cage, used to be worried about being punched in the nose so held my lead hand high in Karate hence got hit in the body a lot. Never thought I was doing any damage. SO a bit of advice don't hold your hands to high LOL :) By the way Robsco If i am allowed to train and can train 4-5 times per week will I be able to hold my own on the ground after say 12 months bearing in mind I take a while to get the hang of things.

I like pies

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 30th June 2007 at 23:53

Well in most BJJ sessions you're not gonna be confronting half as much 'impact' as you would with other styles.

Simply tell the guys your training with not to attempt a knee-on-stomach and I'd think you'd be alright.

But obviously this comes down to a doctors recommendation, bit tricky with something so 'rare' as BJJ for a doctor.

Take yourself along to the BJJ club and see what they say, how they feel, etc.

The Admin Guy

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Sunday 1st July 2007 at 12:19

That makes a lot of sense, knee on stomach sounds like it may be a no no at least for a little while. Thanks for the advice Rob. Looking forward to my move, think it will be a couple of weeks now and then I will only have two months to wait, but will get in touch with the club well before then to get the coach's views on it all, will give him time to mull it over rather than just drop it on him. Hi im Si got my Gi and a pacemaker can I have a go? It's a bit rude I think better to give a bit of warning. Watch out the Si is coming and he is bionic!!!
Don't you hate it when someone refers to themselves in the third person!

I like pies

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Monday 2nd July 2007 at 20:37

A friend of mine was told to give up all contact sports after having his pacemaker fitted. The consultant said that swimming and tennis were ok but not football, rugby, boxing, judo. However if your consultant says its ok then thumbs up, as you said speak to your sensei, go easy for a while, choose your training partners carefully and good luck.

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 3rd July 2007 at 00:08

I agree, it comes down to what the doc says, no MA instructor can really say what's ok and what's not.

Bit sh*t really, but better safe than sorry.

The Admin Guy

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Tuesday 3rd July 2007 at 10:45

Well I have not given up on the idea not just yet. Am thinking about chest protectors like the ones TKD people use, perhaps I could get hold of something similar, I will discuss at lenght with my consultant and take a book about BJJ with me so that they can see it's not karate!! I dunno the NHS website suggests that one can play rugby as long as you are carefull, hell the impacts will be much higher there. I am sure I can come up with something!! But thanks for all the advice and support. Who knows in a year we could be rolling at a seminar.

I like pies

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Sunday 9th September 2007 at 15:06

Hello all, just thought i would give you an update as to my pacemaker question, I have been told that I am allowd to train with it!!!! Fab I am very excited, going to look at Gracie Barra Swansea next week and also at Billy Doak's Goshin jitsu see which one I prefer, Billy is well known and from what I can tell he has a great rep. Hell if I cant decide then I'll just do both. as you can probably tell I feel like a dog with two at the moment!!!

I like pies

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Friday 21st September 2007 at 16:04

Hello again all just a quick update I have started training at gracie barra Swansea with Rob. I trained for the the first time yesterday, so sore its great. Loved it thanks to everyone who gave positive comments. Look forward to rolling with anyone and everyone.

I like pies

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Friday 21st September 2007 at 22:41

Nice one I'm glad it went alright. I had my first BJJ class tonight and I loved it.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 24th September 2007 at 12:54

Glad you enjoyed it

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Friday 28th September 2007 at 21:39

Well done a few lessons now, it's all fab, did not realise how easy it can be to pass guard, thought those legs round you and you were trapped. amazing what you learn in the first few lessons. Love the kimura and rear chokes. but position is far mor important than the sub as without you have had it!

I like pies

LeifW

1 posts

Monday 18th September 2017 at 18:19

Rising this old message thread from the past.

Davies1978 - Hopefully you'll see this message. Now that it is several years later, how are things working out with your pacemaker and training? I've been training BJJ for 7+ years and had to get a pacemaker recently. Thing just finished healing and I just started going back (only 4 classes so far). I'm hoping that you can share your experience now that a lot of time has passed.

Thanks,
LeifW